Research from Korea on High-Fat Diets

(Sharon A Peters) #1

This is from one of my fave online journals: The Journal of Ethnic Foods. If you want to know more about ethnic foodways in general - always chock-full of info, much of which can be keto-ed, some of which, alas, cannot. The founder and editorial board are based in South Korea, and so a lot of the research comes out of Asia. But this one was happy-making: http://www.journalofethnicfoods.net/article/S2352-6181(17)30005-7/pdf
“Korean diet prevents obesity and ameliorates insulin resistance in
mice fed a high-fat diet”. Yes, there will be things that will be critiqued (Yes, Virginia, there is rice in the Korean diet.) But It is also a meat-heavy diet, and apparently researchers are open to studying the beneficial effects of a high level of fats in the diet. I say well-formed, implemented, and analyzed studies on the benefits of high fat need to be read.

(John) #2

Not sure what is good about the test…
They showed that if you feed a diet to mice that makes them obese, and keep feeding half of them that way, and not the other half, they keep getting obese.
No claim at all can be made about glucose and insulin, since they mention it, because the lower carb of the two was still 445 grams per day. While that is better than the 610 of the other group I find it hard to believe they can come to the conclusion that they did which is that eating 60%+ carbs

normalizes insulin secretion, leading to improved glucose sensitivity

I haven’t seen any studies that suggest a 60% carb diet helps blood glucose and insulin sensitivity.

They then discuss how great their national foods are compared to western foods.

That’s all i care to look into it.

(Sharon A Peters) #3

thank you for your time and effort to read and comment. It is, as I mentioned in posting it, a beginning. To extrapolate it at this stage to human needs and nutrition is folly. I like the idea that someone is beginning to look seriously at fats as something other than the devil incarnate (inlipidate???)

additionally, I am posting this as a piece of research and science … anyone who would immediately draw human/lchf/keto conclusions from it probably shouldn’t be trawling this section of the forum. If you feel that articles such as this should not be posted because they are inapplicable or inappropriate, then by all means take it up with the Admins.

Cheers and lashings of lardo …

(John) #4

The point of the study is to say that fat is terrible and what caused obesity in mice, and likely the same for “western culture” and that even abundances of carbs are fine as long as you don’t eat fat.

Why would someone not draw “keto conclusions” from a report posted in the science section of a website devoted to exactly that?

The synopsis of the study is that fat makes people fat, carbs are good, even way too many as long as you eat fermented foods. Not sure where you got the idea they are vindicating fat.

I am not understanding what point you are driving at, sorry. I re read your post several times, and don’t understand.

This rat study is the standard BS we keep seeing. Where rats are fed high carb diets, and still called high fat diet, while there is less than 30% fats.

And the so-called healthy Korean diet that they used to feed the rats contained white bread, banana milk and other crap, with less calories than the competing high carb diet. With false conclusion that the Korean diet was healthier than the faux high fat diet.

It seems fairly common for research posted in the Show me the Science section to receive scrutiny and critique along scientific lines, particularly related to how a study or experiment is conducted. That seems to be partially what this section is for, not simply to post a study. You can do it, but the main part of the thread I’d usually expect to be a matter of critiquing any article and debating it’s validity or application.

(Sharon A Peters) #7

Thank you, and noted.