Replacing almond flour with coconut flour?

(CCT) #1

Hi, I would like to try some of the baking recipes online, but I have severe allergy to almonds. Does anyone have baking recipes that don’t include almond flour or have had success with replacing coconut flour?

Thanks!

(Running from stupidity) #2

The important thing to remember when substituting is that you need much less coconut flour - it you are supposed to use 100g of almond flour, then 25-35g of coconut flour will usually be in the ball park.

Keto Flours 101 | Low-Carb Baking Science

I no longer use almond flour. I prefer the taste and texture of products made with coconut flour, but some people don’t. Coconut flour is cheaper, I need to use less, and it has fewer net carbs.

Some coconut flour recipes I use (or plan to try).

I use protein powder to supplement my protein intake, and use it as a flour. Some Protein Powder recipes I use. Even fewer net carbs, but more expensive.

You can also use cheese as a “flour”, as in Cheesebuns. I pulverize the shredded cheese in my Magic Bullet before adding the other ingredients. It makes it easier to mix everything together.

Coconut flour is very absorbent

The general rule of thumb is that you only need 1/3rd to 1/4th as much coconut flour as other flours (e.g. almond), and for each cup of coconut flour you substitute, you may need to add up to 6 eggs and up to a cup of liquid.

For example, I recently cut the Parmesan cheese in a recipe in half and replaced it with a 1/4 cup of coconut flour. So I also needed to add:

• 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • 2 eggs

(Brian) #4

Mr. Google is your friend. There are already quite a lot of coconut flour recipes online.

Do you follow any of the food gurus of the low-carb world?

AllDayIDreamAboutFood.com Carolyn has lots of freebies.
LowCarbYum.com
IBreatheImHungry.com
DietDoctor.com
KetoConnect.net

There are a bunch of them.

Sure you can convert recipes on your own. But sometimes, it’s easier to start with a similar recipe that’s already been worked out before, maybe modify that one if it’s not quite what you were wanting. There is often a lot of trial and error that goes into getting a recipe just so. Might as well take advantage of the work of others.

Good luck!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Tons of good coconut flour recipes, my favorites so far are chocolate cake and pancakes. I don’t eat them often but they are a great treat now and then. Haven’t tried the breads yet but it’s on the agenda.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

OgreZed nailed it. Coconut is a very different thing than nut flours. Keep in mind not only the moisture difference but the taste is going to be different too. If you like coconut taste, that is great, but somethings will require more spicing when a coconut taste might not be the best thing in your end product.