Replacement for arrowroot

(James Shaw) #1

We have a wonderful paleo recipe for crispy naan-style breads for curry. But it has 3/4 cup almond flour (ok) and 3/4 cup arrowroot flour (omg AWFUL at 28g). No wonder we liked it - crazy carbs!

So we’re going to experiment by replacing it with Psyllium Husk which is keto friendly at almost no net carbs.

Any other ideas? Certainly an eye opener about arrowroot…

(Meeping up the Science!) #2

Possibly coconut flour. It likely won’t ever have the nice starchy taste minus the arrowroot, though. You could always add some arrowroot back and give it a shot? I’m not sure though that it would come out well.

(Aloy ) #3

I started adding xanthan gum to my recipes (especially waffles) and really like the result. 1TBS has 7g carbs and 7g fiber. “Xanthan Gum is an essential ingredient for gluten free baking. It acts as an emulsifier and a binder, and adds volume to gluten free breads, cookies, cakes, and other baked goods.” from Bob’s mill website.

(Sophie) #4

You could try 1/2 the amount of Oat Fiber instead. Dunno how that’d work, just as an experiment.

(Lisandra Mathews) #5

I’m getting a kick out of your post because I just made this very mistake last night. I also made naan for my chicken tika masala and the next morning when I tested at .2 . When I ate it I also thought it was too good to be true so naturally I stuffed myself with the arrowroot almond flour naan. The giveaway was that carb heavy feeling in my stomach. Should have hit the keto forum 1st.

(Allie) #6

Xantham gum I reckon

(Damon Chance) #7

Macros per serving
Calories: 111
Net Carbs: 4g
Total Carbs: 19g
Protein: 4g
Fat 4g
Fiber: 15g

(GINA ) #8

Anyone try these replacements, or any new ideas out there for replacing arrowroot?

I have a really good gluten free brownie recipe that I can pretty easily modify with Lilly’s chips and erythritol, but there are still 3 tablespoons of arrowroot starch.

Coconut flour? Almond flour? Any other ideas?

(Veronica Couture) #9

In a case with a brownie recipe I’d add collagen. But idk if it’d need a tiny bit of gust him or zanthan gum as well. I’ve had great results with adding a few tablespoons or so to desserts I’m making up. Made a great banana bread. It was smooth in texture. Dense but not grainy or chalky. Collagen helps with this. I’m trying to find something to fix up a batch of naan. I’ll keep experimenting.