Replace Coconut Flour with Oat Fiber?

I’ve hated coconut my entire life but I have tried to adapt my tastes to coconut flour. Nope, no way, nada, no can do.

Does anyone know if oat fiber can be used in place of coconut flour? It would make me blissfully happy!!!

(bulkbiker) #2

Or you could simply ditch flour completely?
What are you using it for?

(Diane) #3

I think coconut flour, oat fiber and psyllium husk powder are pretty interchangeable in recipes in fairly small amounts (maybe a couple of tablespoons up to 1/3 cup or so). I don’t know about large amounts.

(Susan) #4

What about almond flour?

I haven’t used any flour since starting Keto in February, what do you need it for?

(Diane) #5

If a recipe calls for 1/4 cup of coconut flour, you would need about 1 cup of almond flour in the recipe and would need to reduce the eggs by about 1 and also possibly/probably reduce the other liquids and fats.

(Susan) #6

I don’t use either, and probably won’t for a long time, as I am just trying to do very basic stuff for now and not bothering with extras or treats, etc. Especially with this stall, trying to break it!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

I’ve seen lots of flax seed recipes. :cowboy_hat_face:

For those occasional moments when I want something a little more complex, in this case I was trying a tortilla recipe. It uses almond and coconut flours. The coconut flour taste was too powerful for me. I’d love to be able to replace it with something else - and oat fiber would be awesome!

That’s fantastic! I switch back and forth between keeping things extremely simple and wanting to experiment while I have free time over the summer. (Not to mention that I’m only 8 weeks in and still have that drive to want to replace things at times!). In this case it was quesadillas!!!

(traci simpson) #10

Use parmesan cheese and an egg instead. Makes great taco shells, pizza crust and tortilla’s.

(Wendy) #11

I wouldn’t!

May I ask why not?

(Wendy) #13

Because coconut flour is very high in fiber. And it is hard to get enough if you are strict on the Keto diet. Also it is low in carbohydrates so its perfect to use in baked goods. But since it’s high in fiber it usually requires about 1/4 the amount if substituting in place of normal flour or almond flour.

(Sherrie) #14

Was the original question ever answered?

(Bob M) #15

You’d have to test it. I doubt it’s a 1:1 substitution.