Reintroducing dairy after elimination

(Jessica) #1

I lost 50 pounds in 6 months and have maintained that lose for over a year. I feel like this is just where my body wants to be naturally but I would like to loose another 10 pounds. To lose more weight, I believe I will have to eliminate dairy and possibly all forms of sweetener as well. I’m okay doing this for a short time but do not know if I will be able to give up cheese forever.
Here is my question, has anyone eliminated dairy, lost weight and then was able to maintain weight lose while consuming (most likely small portions of) dairy again?

(Susan) #2

I eliminated dairy from Oct 18-now but I am planning on buying some HWC and cream cheese tonight -using them carefully -I did not lose anymore then my usual 1 pound a month that I have been at for a while by eliminating it and I really miss it, so I am going to see if it makes any difference.

The sweetener I eliminated in June (which I will have on special occasions in the future if I want a Keto desert -for my birthday, Christmas, etc). A lot of people have posted about having stalls or insulin issues with the sweeteners, so if you could eliminate that I think you might find it helps.

For the dairy, I would first try to just cut back, as opposed to total elimination, as I didn’t find that that made any difference for me. I think I was having too much of it perhaps; though, so will proceed with caution and limit my amounts. All of our bodies are different though, I am just sharing my own personal findings with this!

Big congrats on the 50 pounds that you already lost, that is great!

The other thing that you could try is Fasting for a bit =). I have been following this Fasting protocol (along with a couple of other ladies on the forum). It is from IDM, and Dr. Jason Fung is the King of Fasting in my books and I am enjoying this:

IF%20Schedule%20-%20Copy

Personally I am doing 44 hours fasting as I have done TMAD 20:4 IF’s since June and I wanted to keep that as well.
I wish you all the best in losing that additional 10 pounds, keep us posted, and take care =).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I’ve never fully cut dairy but I did give up HWC in my coffee back in June. The cut seemed to help accelerate weight loss. I was probably using 3 quarts a month.

Have you tried IF and EF? That’s been the most significant tool for me. I’ve been in maintenance weight for about 6 weeks. I stopped counting carbs and tracking/weighing my food. During the last week I have fasted quite a lot, my first experience with EF since I started KETO 15 months ago. I have dropped significantly during the last week with a second EF which I am about 68 hours into now. I hit a new low weight this morning. I think I can eat whatever I want now (KETO Food) and maintain or lose if I choose using fasting as a lever. New power tools in my box! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jessica) #4

This is very helpful. Thank you!!

(Jessica) #5

I have trouble with IF but I should probably give it another good try. I have a 2.5 year old daughter and it’s very difficult to sit at the table with her at dinner time and not eat. I feel like I’m setting a bad example for her. If I lived alone and followed my own internal hunger cues, I would eat a huge breakfast, a normal lunch and then fast until the next morning. Unfortunately, family, friends and society expect dinner to be a big deal. I think I will try to skip breakfast for a week after my dairy experiment is done and see if 17:7 IF works better.

I used to be a big milk drinker, but gave it up when I started in June. I did, however, keep cheese, butter, and HWC in my diet.

I’m not really able to drink milk anymore, I end up with GI distress, it can be pretty severe if I pour a big glass like I used to.

Dairy is a big range of foods.

Cutting out drinking dairy may be all you need?

Cheese is a fermented food that can align with low carb eating in the longer term.

(Troy) #8

Yes!
For me, dairy is a once in awhile treat
I’ll add in when I go to In-N-Out ( flying Dutchman ) has cheese
But that’s about it
It’s the other dairy side effects I do not enjoy. Blah
Fullness, bloating, and fatigue, and discomfort
Because of the above, I get " mentally " turned away

My SAD go-to back in the day was
Togo’s Sandwich #22 ( Franchise chain in SoCal )
ALL CHEESE!!
I would add in additional cheese choices as well
4 different ones in all

Boy oh Boy
I would pass Out w that today🤢
It was tasty though :cry:

Good Luck

(PSackmann) #9

At this point, I wouldn’t make a short-term change with hopes of re-introducing that food. Instead, the question is, which is more important, including dairy in your normal way of eating or that last 10 pounds. If that last 10 pounds is more important, then embrace the fact that dairy may be off the table for you except for very rare occasions. In my humble opinion, it’s easier to get rid of sweeteners than dairy, so that would be my target, but you’ll know what’s easier for you. From what I’ve seen, it’s very rare for someone to remove a food, lose weight and then re-introduce it without re-gaining.

(Jessica) #10

This is exactly what I’m thinking. If I do eliminate whole food groups to work hard and loose weight and then regain because I can’t maintain that lower weight, it seems like maybe not worth the pain to begin with. I am at an okay and basically healthy weight but don’t feel 100% comfortable.
I was looking for others opinions/experiences before deciding if I am willing to be much more strict with my already very clean keto foods.

(Jessica) #11

The only dairy products I currently consume is HWC and cheese. No milk.

I found the same in my experience Jessica, that big DAIRY, got cleaner and cleaner the longer I ate this way. The cleaner the dairy intake, the more my health improved. But we don’t want to go throwing out the curds with the whey, if the curds have something our body needs.

You are obviously knowledgeable and into the detailed nuances of your n=1.

No butter?

For your experience, the heavy whipped cream test, may be a further fine tuning?

The cheese depending upon its processing is the lesser likely to be a sticking point toward goals.

(Bunny) #13

I think it has to do with the way the dairy is processed and the amount of insulin engaging lactose is in it but in the case of grass fed butter all the lactose is removed from churning it, when it forms that the cream on the top that is where all the lactose collects, the butyrate that’s in it will make you lose weight, take cheese for example and the way the it is processed as said in the above post.

Real traditional naturally aged cheese is 90% protein (isolate) which means it has no lactose or sugar in it if not trace amounts not worth batting an eyelash over, the older the cheese, the less lactose.

Processed cheese like hydrolysate or hydrolyzed is pre-digested lactose which means it’s full of sugar and then more sugar is added to it on top of that? :scream:

References:

[1] Isolate: 90% protein, or higher; contains less lactose and fat and lacks a lot of the beneficial nutrients found in whey protein concentrate. …More

[2] Hydrolysate: Also known as hydrolyzed whey, this type has been pre-digested so that it gets absorbed faster. It causes a 28–43% greater spike in insulin levels than isolate (11Trusted Source). …More

[3] 6 Dairy Foods That Are Naturally Low in Lactose

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #14

David, that was a lot of HWC. Just saying.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

I used a pint in 5-6 days, 3.5 tablespoons in a 5oz Espresso. Usually once a day but sometimes twice. If I had it around it sometimes ended up in food too. My son was also here 2-3 days per week and I used some for him. But we both cut it. I will still get a pint if I want to cook something and I use it up in coffee as a treat but I’m used to black coffee again. I had to use cream for years due to stomach issues which started when I was a heavy black coffee drinker. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

As I understand it, the issue with dairy is not that it inhibits weight loss (though do be sure to count the carbohydrate in your daily consumption totals), but that many people are sensitive to one or more of the dairy proteins, quite apart from whether they are lactose-intolerant or not (and you are most likely lactose-intolerant, that being the human default, unless you come from a Maasai or a northern European heritage).

(Nasir) #17

I think I heard in one of the pod casts that protein in dairy triggers insulin without raising glucose. That is not a good news as I IF everyday but use cream in my coffee (sometimes liberally). That is an additional factor on top of lactose.

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

I would suggest doing 14/10 a few days, then extend it to 16/8 or 18/6 once you are comfortable with the 14/10. Some can go right to 18/6, but I sure wasn’t one of them and from what I have read here and in other forums, I had plenty of company.

Good luck and welcome back to the forum.

(Ron) #19

Is this true? Can someone confirm this with science? Thank You.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #20

I heard it explained this way: milk is for growing babies. It, by it’s nature, is an anabolic growth stimulant. Some adults seem sensitive to that nature of dairy, while others seem not to be. I don’t know the science.