Refined vs Un-refined carbs

(Marius the butter craving dude) #1

Being reading Taube’s book. He explained how the medical community made a compromise, in the debates regarding the cause of diabetes, made a compromise between Keys and Yudkin, and put forword the idea that to much refined carbs are the problem, that we should eat a lot of fiber rich cereals and fruits.
I get the impression that fiber rich carb are better compared to refined carbs; yet how can they be considered to be good overall ? The overall advantage is slow digestion and a steady flow of sugar in the body; thus a steady flow of insulin, right ? Also they proposed fiber rich carbs with low fat as a diet, yet this compared with more traditional types of indigenous diets would have a much more high carb intake than them since you must replace the calories from fat with more carbs. Thus what they propose is not quite similar to indigenous diets that incorporate vegetables and cereals. Also not all indigenous diets are quite optimal for human health.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

I remember learning this in nursing school in relation to how to instruct diabetics to eat. Worst to best regarding carb effects on blood sugar were fruit, bread/grains, veg. And of course, least of all protein and fat.

Having already learned about Atkins and ketosis I didn’t understand why they were telling folks to eat bread but not so much fruit. People know more now but the information is slow to move along and a regular person has to understand some basic anatomy and physiology to understand things which creates challenges.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #3

I am attempting to convince my mom witch has diabetes for 20 years to go keto and/or carnivore. I saw so many people doing the impossible here and reversing it.
Am I right to convince her to go keto anr/or carnivore ?
I am also quite against what her doctor prescribed as a diet. I would post the list but basicaly the diet being low fat it forces her to rely on carbs… yet she has a no no on the high energy refined carbs. For as long as I know her she would be out of energy at 8 PM and already sleeping. I feel her doctor’s diet plan manages to at best give a steady stream of glucose so that the body has a steady stream of insulin, no insulin spikes… But this ignores the fact that the body will develop in time more and more insulin resistance.
And the HbA1C will never improve without starvation or CICO.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

It’s tricky when you’re talking about someone deep into diabetes who is also on regularly scheduled insulin injections. She would need to understand the effect different (low carb) foods have on her blood sugar, be willing to check her sugars and adjust doses.

I don’t think it’s wrong to convince her to look into it, read about other diabetics who have had success lowering or discontinuing their insulin and to discuss things with her doctor. Unfortunately, she may have to be pushy and have some hard talks with her doc which may make her uncomfortable. When you’re convinced this person is literally saving your life and your son comes along and says you should do something different it’s hard to believe.

I would start with giving her reading material she can look at in her own time and then come back and ask if she has questions or if you can dig more things up for her. Or get her a good book.

YOU know what’s going on. She’s in a different place. Help her move into your knowledge space.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #5

She dose not need insulin. She started on blood sugar medication for just a year now. She had an accident before I was born and went carb crazy for a year. Then due to her high blood sugar level she was registered with diabetics. She was very strict on sugars and sweets for 20 years. Yet her blood sugar will not bulge, she had it constant at 130-140 for quite some years now without medication (she is scared of the side effects). She lied for many years to her doctor that she took the bood sugar medication.
Yet she just maintained a very slow deterioration. I feel it is time for her to do something hard but effective.

(Jane) #6

That’s actually a good sign that she doesn’t think her doctor is a God.