Recording Show 74 with Jeff Gerber

(carl) #1

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Excited about this upcoming podcast. Dr. Gerber is known as Denver’s diet doctor. He even runs meetings that are free for anyone who wants to learn about LCHF/keto eating. And he works with others for great conferences internationally.

(Marty Kendall) #3

Good podcast. Jeff is a legend and a really nice guy!

Good discussion of the pros and cons of PSMF for different people and the possible transition.

(What The Fast?!) #4

Oh…My…God!!! Minute 21:30 of this podcast, he’s talking about people exactly like me!!! Metabolically healthy but my body is AMAZING at storing fat. Based on my blood test results and low fasting insulin (2.2), it really sounds like I fall into this camp. I am SO relieved to hear that I’m not alone!! I have been feeling so frustrated and disappointed that my body won’t release fat.

I’m going to be googling protein sparing modified fast to see if it’s something I can do to finally get my body to use my stored fat! (I haven’t even finished listening to the episode yet, I’m just so amped.)

@carl @richard THANK YOU!!

@mikki listen to this podcast

(Marty Kendall) #5

@KetoLikeaLady here’s a link to an article about the PSMF. As Richard said, if your insulin levels are high you may not be able to hack such an aggressive calorie deficit (and hence may benefit from higher levels of dietary fat), but as your insulin decreases you can wind back the dietary fat and allow your body fat stores to flow. Rather than protein sparing I like to think of it as maximising nutrients while reducing energy intake. Let me know if you have any feedback of questions on the article.

(What The Fast?!) #6

Thanks! I actually decided to try full on carnivore for awhile and see if that helps. :slight_smile: I googled PSMF and I’d rather not be starving all the time!

(Richard Morris) #7

I re-listened to this story on the plane out of ketofest and heard that bit again and thought to myself I have to mention it to Andrea :slight_smile:

BTW @amber is the expert at carnivory. She has also done a lot of research into adequate essential nutrition with an all meat diet.

(What The Fast?!) #8

Oh man Richard! A lot has happened while you were at ketofest!! I’ve been doing ZC for 6 days now, lost 4lbs (water I’m sure). I’m going to give ZC a go for 30 days if I can last that long, I’m really interested in seeing how it affects my cycling performance. I tried a bunch of rides fasted and I was SO slow, but I do well with some bacon and eggs in the morning.

I looked up Jeff Gerber and if for some reason I don’t get results with ZC, I may fly out and see him. I reached out to Amber for some advice (supplements needed, etc).

PS Thanks for thinking of me!! I can’t wait to listen the next podcast to hear all about ketofest!!
PPS Looks like I’m coming to Australia in the fall to dive the Great Barrier Reef while it’s still around!

(Stacie Kouskouris) #9

Hi! Just wanted to follow up and see if you tried the PSMF? This podcast totally spoke to me, also! Thanks for any insight you have!

(Jackie) #10

Curious how the ZC experiment went. I finally just listened to this podcast and my ears immediately perked up when he said metabolically healthy but still can’t lose weight.

(What The Fast?!) #11

Gained a couple lbs.

Gained a couple of pounds during zero carb?

(What The Fast?!) #13

Yep, did it for a month. I stopped for that reason and also because it may be sustainable for some, but for me, socially, it’s a nightmare.