Recommendations for first sous vide meal

(Mike Glasbrener) #1

My sous vide arrives Friday. I love slow cooked or smoked meats! :slight_smile: Yummmmmm… My son and I had smoked baby back ribs and brisket in Boulder, Co a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Pulled pork is also supposed to be excellent.

Soooo… What’s an easy to make hard to fail first sous vide recipe that tastes awesome and, of course it goes w/o saying, is zero (or nearly so) carb.

(Ernest) #2

Salt and pepper a ribeye steak. Sous at 131 degrees for minimum 2 hours then finish on a HOT grill or cast iron skillet.

(Mike Glasbrener) #3

I like this idea… Something relatively quick when it comes then I can start something longer right afterwards…

(Ernest) #4

If you have salmon on hand, salt, and use water displacement method to seal. Sous vide at 125 degrees for 30 minutes. Then slap it on a HOT skillet on one side just to crisp it up. Less than a minute.

(Mike Glasbrener) #5

Another good one. For some reason I had 12-48 hour cook time in my head…

:slight_smile: My boys and I are solo for about a week. It’ll come to good use while my wife who is sort of vegaan and would be quite bit more so if it wasn’t for us carnivores. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Ernest) #6

Yeah those long cooks are for tough cuts of meat like pork belly, pork shoulder etc.
I actually sous vide a whole pork shoulder for 48 hours then portion it into steaks.

(Clare) #7

I love everything I do in mine but brisket and pork belly are the things that are most stunning. With no seasoning or anything - just pork cooked in its own juice and fat, the result are stunning. I do a rolled piece of belly for 36 hours, then slice it and fry the slices.
Happy cooking!

(Sheri Knauer) #8

Pork belly sounds good. What do you mean when you say rolled? I have a slab of pork belly in the fridge I think I’ll cook using the sous vide but I think it’s too thick to “roll” up so I was wondering what you meant. Thanks!

(Clare) #9

I buy mine pre-tied but yes just as you describe. Use some cooking twine and roll the slab with the fat on the outside so you’ve got a cylinder shaped piece of pork.
I’ve cooked slabs and they’re good too but it holds together a little better when I cook it this way.

(Ernest) #10

@Sheri_Knauer I get mine from Costco. Takes some effort to roll but worth it

(Mike Glasbrener) #11

I’m going to give rib eye a shot. It’s on sale at the store followed by a pork should “roast”? A inexpensive fatty cut that should be good…

(Clare) #12

(Mike Glasbrener) #13

Played around some. I made ribeye Friday. Taste was good. I need to finish on grill not the skillet… I then put baby back ribs in and a pork shoulder roast in at 165F. The ribs for about 20hrs or so and the shoulder for closer to 48. The ribs were amazing. Tasty and the meat fell off the bone. I’ll need to play with rubs some. I just used store bought sauce (yes the crappy sugar based ones) because that’s what the boys wanted. I made two full racks and the boys wiped them out by lunch time the next day. The shoulder came out on Sunday night. I put in oven at 350F for about 1/2 or so to crisp the outside. I then asked the boys if the wanted pulled pork or slices. They voted pulled pork and made sandwiches. I plated mine with baked cauliflower. It was excellent. It’s hard to believe that pork is so cheap, easy to make and so good. I was always afraid to make roasts because I didn’t want to screw them up. Now they’re unbelievably easy. It just takes time. Also, no more torched meat from grill flare ups. To grow repetior I’ll try chicken legs and tritip this week…

(Carpe salata!) #14

Got my Sunbeam SousVide / Slow Cooker and the steaks are awesome. Now I have vacuum sealed some steaks for the freezer mmm

How does this sound … mince mixed with grated cheese frozen into portions ready for sous vide. Does that work or does it overcook the cheese somehow ?

(Jacob Wagner) #15

I know this was a while back. If you are still around would you mind sharing what temperature you prefer?

–Jacob

(Ernest) #16

I prefer 145 degrees. Very tender but not falling apart.

(Jacob Wagner) #17

Thanks!

I’m going to start one for Wednesday supper.

• Jacob