Recent research on the effect of time restricted eating on strength

(charlie3) #1

Below is a copy and paste from an email from Greg Nochols. He is an exercise physiologist.

Intermittent fasting has been a hot topic for about 5 years now. While there are some people who rabidly promote IF as some miraculous diet “hack,” and some people who claim that eating less frequently will cause you to lose all your gainz, most people have gravitated toward the more reasonable middle-of-the-road position: IF is unlikely to help or hurt very much from a strictly physiological perspective, but it can be beneficial for some people if it helps with dietary enjoyment and adherence.

Recently, the first high-quality study on the most popular form of intermittent fasting (“Leangains-style” with an 8-hour feeding window each day) was finally published.

Check out the full article on Stronger By Science to read about the results. You can also read the full text of the study here.

Here’s the short version: While intermittent fasting likely didn’t have a meaningful effect on strength or body composition, it may have some beneficial health effects.

Enjoy!

I guess much will depend on your starting point. If you’re already fit & metabolically healthy/flexible it makes sense that it would have a more negligible impact on body composition.

Thanks for the heads up :slightly_smiling_face:

(Omar) #3

eight hours feeding window a day is the most beneficial form of fasting in my case.

the only issue with that is I am not able to eat my designated calories in that window which is OK if you still have weight to loose.

(New Keto Friend) #4

@anon54735292 yeah… That’s what I was thinking too.