Recent Anti-Keto Paper; Zoe Harcombe's Response

(PJ) #1

Uploading a PDF of a paper published last month, by a plant-based diet group of course, dissing keto… and a website response to it by Zoe Harcombe. Thought some would find it interesting.

The paper:
Ketogenic_Diets_and_Chronic_Disease_Weighing_the_B.pdf (315.9 KB)

Zoe’s review:
https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2021/08/keto-diet-under-attack/

(I have a PDF but forum says it’s too large to upload.)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Our ‘vegan friends’ at Physicians Committee for Irresponsible Pseudo Medicine are at it again.

(Greg Hollingsworth) #3

Thanks for posting - I hadn’t read Hartcomb’s response.

However, findings from a recent trial by Hall et al. suggest that a low-fat vegan diet (10% energy from fat) may be more effective than a ketogenic diet in suppressing appetite.

I’d have to agree, eating 30lbs of kale to get that 50 cals in will definitely fill you up :rofl:

The Executive Summary she posts at the start is so well written.

I thought there would be more data on brain tumour treatment benefits.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Look for the work of Thomas Seyfried, a cancer researcher who feels that a ketogenic diet can be a useful part of treating tumors.

(Ohio ) #8

Anytime a doctor gets ahold of some definition on a ”keto diet” they look for holes, weaknesses, etc. They blow it up to seek attention or sell a book, many other anti- keto people do this as well.

Ketosis is your bodies natural state. Any diet promoting ketosis is a ketogenic diet, even vegetarian.

Every anti keto person out there lacks discipline, needs to indulge, alcoholism, etc. There’s always some kind of outlining psychological issue. Doctors are no exception.