Rebuilding Metabolism

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #41

This is starting week 2 for me. I missed my weigh-in yesterday mostly due to being poorly hydrated. I just broke a 19-20 hour fast. There was one meal yesterday and there will more than likely be one meal today. No gym, today. Will be working out tomorrow, and will have two meals.

(Alex Dipego) #42

So I decided to try the extreme undulations like last week and itā€™s called alternate day fasting in some groups. I ended up under 20k again and dropped more weight! I came in at 18501cal for the week and down to 172.6lbs.

This is working very well for me and the high days were consistently over 4k. I felt great on my low days and sometimes didnā€™t even feel like eating. My low days were avocado and olive oil, or a can of macadamias on the weekend. Got some better sleep this week as well. I will up the low days a bit to add some more fat but I feel I may have found my sweet spot. Consistency will tell me, especially when the weight loss stops.

(brenn holiday) #43

BillJay: Thanks for the tip about using egg yolks to increase nutrient density. I have updated many of my recipes with this in mind. Removed much of the coconut oil and butter and replaced it with hollandaise type sauces. Always looking for ways to upgrade my protocol.

(Alex Dipego) #44

What a week, a lot going on and man, my energy was all over the place. I did hit 20k calories but, I also gained weight this time. Looking at the %s can show you how that happened. It was my highest carb intake due to how dependent I got on nuts. Not a lot of time for real eating and lots of snacking. It adds up and so does the weight. From 172 to 178.3. Now I know a lot of that is probably water, especially with how little sleep I got. Retention of water I could feel and my energy was very inconsistent. Iā€™m going to attempt to concentrate on the quality of my food choices this week to lower that carb intake (sorry almonds) and see what happens.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #45

Coming late to this, but how long were you there, if I may ask? i.e. how long did it take for your metabolism to get down from the high point you had built it up to?

I think I know where you are coming from with this, although I donā€™t claim to understand all the science behind it (although I would like to).

Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it.

(Cathy) #46

This is fascinating and very useful information. Thank you for taking the time to share it. My question would be how does this apply in a ketogenic frame work? There have been some reasonably good studies that demonstrate that metabolic rates actually increase in the context of eating keto. How does actual fasting compare to keto eating when considering autophagy as that applies to increased metabolism.

Micheal Mosley did a n=1 experiment a few years ago and demonstrated that he had an increased metabolism with the use of some kind of contraption that measured it in a clinic of some sort. There has also been other human studies that demonstrate the same. It is also a claim of a ketogenic way of eating that there is a ā€˜metabolic advantageā€™.

I think that the fact that most studies donā€™t separate the sugar burner from the fat burner makes the science unclear. For one thing, as a fat burner, a person is always using fat (dietary or stored) as the majority of energy. How does this apply to cell changes?