Really? Jillian Michaels slams keto

(Alec) #41

This is really encouraging. She must be worried that keto is hurting her business!

Love it!

(Adam Kirby) #42

This is my favorite part.

Oh you mean like the low-fat diet experiment that lacked sufficient research before it was forced on the world. :joy:

(karen) #43

And ‘talk to your doctor’, once again. If the average “your doctor” had any clue about cutting edge nutrition, this might be a better idea. If you want to get nutritional advice that’s as rancid as year old soybean oil, by all means ask your doctor.

(Alec) #44

Yeah, great advice again from The Hallowed One. I am sure Jason said the average doctor gets approx 4 hrs of nutrition education during their many years of medicine education and training. What experts these folks must be after those 4hrs! :laughing:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #45

I assure you, it happens daily on Twitter and Reddit.

(Steve) #46

It really wasn’t all that long ago…

cigarette-adscamelsstanford

(Justin Traer) #47

I am not here because I don’t like carbs. I am here because the science shows they don’t like me.

I’m here because I loved carbs too much!

(Laurie McLaren) #48

I’ve been doing the keto lifestyle for about five months and have lost between 43 and 46 pounds and have gone from size 18-plus to size 12. For me keto wasn’t so much about weight loss as it was about protecting my brain. Dementia runs in my family and I frankly want to still have my marbles at the end of my life. I can easily sacrifice carbohydrates for that and I haven’t really missed them at all since starting the lifestyle. And I do eat chocolate daily.

I did my homework before embarking on the lifestyle change. What ultimately sealed the deal for me was after seeing various documentaries about calorie restriction benefits on the brain and body, detriments of carbohydrate consumption on the brain and how it helped to manage certain aspects of depression (it works for me but I’m not a doctor or fitness guru trying to sell you on anything). And yes, I also read the books and articles by the people in the documentaries.

What disturbs me most about Ms Michael’s methodology are that she seems to be trying to stoke cortisol (and therefore insulin) levels in the BL contestants with utterly cruel and merciless workouts and, on top of that, have them recover with insulin-stoking teeny portions of food. I could not succeed on something like that. But I have done fun do-as-I-feel-like workouts and have not suffered for my muscle gains or decreasing waistline. I have needed no supplements other than to salt my food. I have eaten real food and no ‘bars’ or ‘health supplements’ or anything like that. I have decreased the medication I take for Fibromyalgia. I don’t have near the mental fogginess, forgetfulness, sense of losing it that I had 5 months ago.

If I am a typical result of switching to a ketogenic lifestyle, Ms. Michaels can’t make money off of me, gym boot camps can’t make money off of me, diet-food companies can’t make money off of me, pharmaceuticals don’t make as much money off if me, fast food doesn’t make anything, and I can go on and on. But apart from the economic and empire-of-celebrity-personality implications, it shows that Ms. Michaels is actually not an expert but is quite ignorant or wants a population to mindlessly defer to her and make money off of. Perhaps it’s frightening for her to be faced with the reality that she and her ‘expertise’ are completely unnecessary and disposable.

(BuckRimfire) #49

But, but, but, kidney stones!!!eleven!

/s

(Brian) #50

Buck, are you saying you’re getting / have gotten kidney stones with keto?

I’m not sure if I’m reading right.

People get them both on and off of keto. There are things that help many.

(charlie3) #51
  1. The doctor favorite argument against any and all diets, including Keto, nobody sticks to it, all the weight is always regained. They have a commercial bias to favor that outcome. They want everyone to make pills their primary care instead of healthy living. I get that message loud and clear in the clinic and it’s a huge turnoff.

2. Restricting carbs intereres with athletic performance. After a life time eating mostly carbs I’m still perfecting fat burning after 14 months. I suspect improvement continues for years.

3. I believe a major unspoken resistance to keto is the time and trouble of using only real food ingredients. It tends to mean more kitchen time and more frequent shopping trips and, of course, we are a civilization overconsuming carbs because we are addicted. The medical people I consulted recently could not advise me about diet and exercise because they don’t personally follow that kind of advice.

(BuckRimfire) #52

/s means “turning off sarcasm.”

It’s the objection I’ve hear most often other than “unsustainable,” and “your heart will explode.”

You’re right, different people get kidney stones. There is a Sarah Haldberg video or podcast (maybe on Diet Doctor) in which she’s answering questions and says she does have a few cases where people get kidney stones on keto, but I think she implied that it was usually people who had already had stones previously. I forgot if she said that was fixable or if they had to give up, or if she said nothing about the outcome.

So, maybe the diet tips a few people back that way, or maybe they’re just doing it wrong? Anyway, it’s clearly not a common result.

(Brian) #53

Aah, I get it now. :slight_smile:

I did have one known kidney stone episode since keto, maybe one before but not sure. I didn’t go to the doctor for either. Just sucked down the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar and they passed in about two days. Not pleasant and wouldn’t care to repeat, but not as bad as a migraine headache.

The interesting thing for me was that I the last ones I got, it was after one dose of using homemade magnesium bicarbonate. I used some Peptobismol and a bottle of carbonated water to make it and had a dose of it the night before the kidney stone. I never took it again. Poured the rest out and haven’t looked back. I have no idea whether they were even related but it was interesting the exact day the kidney stones issue came up was the day after that. (I’ve since gone to using magnesium citrate and get along just fine with that.)

(Rambling… sorry… )

:slight_smile:

(Doug) #54

Charlie, nice post and I’ve seen that too - the money/marketing/business aspect of health care is so huge these days. Even my general practitioner - a nice ‘young’ guy of about 43, who at least pays lip service to an holistic approach and whose website states that his special interest and the cornerstone of his practice is preventative medicine - this doctor is still ever-ready with the drug prescriptions… :neutral_face:

I do give him credit - at least when I said I was refusing to take statins, he was fine with that. (Then I wondered how important he’d thought they were for me, if he was willing to give up on it so easy…)

(charlie3) #55

I’ve listened to many many YT videos made by these dream team docs talking so passionately and well about low carb and exercise (the things I do) and how they put that first at the clinic. Really? I wanna belleve. But in the analog real world the best chance of seeing one of these super docs is on the cover of a comic book on the magazine rack at Walmart.

It’s infuriating that I can’t know the cost of anything until I’m charged for it. I’m even more infuriated that nothing is explained. From here on I’ll be demanding an old fashioned written perscription for everything so I can shop for it. I’m entitled to know what something is going to cost before I commit to it.

But it’s all our fault. If the sidewalks were crowded with literally everybody taking their daily walk, if the center isles of all the grocery stores were abandoned, my local produce store was a mob scene, may be half the medical infrastructure in the nation would eventually go out of business. There isn’t a health care crisis. There is a health crisis.

(Keto butts drive me nuts) #56

Don’t get mad at her. She’s bashing keto to keep her relevant. So she learned some new words for this latest interview, but she still shows how poorly informed she really is. Stay healthy my friends

(Empress of the Unexpected) #57

She needs to make money. There it is there.

(Bunny) #58

It does not appear to me that she is “slamming keto” at all she is actually promoting it and additionally it works great for variable insulin resistance and diabetes etc… She has a bad choice of words though to refer to such as a “fad diet?” but then again she is not a really a scientist or doctor?

Jillian Michaels says: ”…While those with conditions associated with high insulin levels like polycystic ovary syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and infertility may consider the diet, Michaels says it doesn’t make sense for most people.

“If you’re not eating a bunch of processed carbs and processed sugar and you’re not eating too much food in general, you won’t have insulin levels that are going through the roof,” she says. …” …More

Truly if she is adhering to what she is saying she must spend a lot of time in ketosis?

(hottie turned hag) #59

:laughing::rofl:
Please tell me he responded in a way that made evident her faux pas

#whatamaroon

@OldDoug I can tell you as an “insider” of sorts that what docs do themselves, do/recommend for wives/children/relatives and what they do/recommend for pts are often widely disparate.
#cogsinthewheel

Yes, those two quotes are something a reasonable person would say. The second one applying to healthy people.

She’s ramped up the rhetoric recently like in this article:

Speaking on the “#Adulting” podcast in late April, Michaels slammed the keto diet, which requires people to be on a very low-carb, moderate protein and high-fat eating plan, as a “terrible, terrible idea.” “Your cells are literally made up of those three macronutrients,” the 45-year-old trainer said, referring to fat, protein and carbohydrates. She stressed a balance between the three is imperative for a healthy, well-rounded diet. That’s just one of the many reasons why keto is a terrible, terrible idea. People can criticize me all they want, but the bottom line is, it’s science and the science is there — and [keto] is bad for your overall health and wellness,"
…Your cells, your macromolecules, are literally made up of protein, fat, carbohydrates, nucleic acids. When you do not eat one of the three macronutrients — those three things I just mentioned — you’re starving yourselves,” she told the mag. “Those macronutrients serve a very important purpose for your overall health and well-being. Each and every one of them. https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/jillian-michaels-keto-diet-terrible-idea

She has never addressed the issue her Biggest Loser contestants had with metabolic slowdown, still believes in “eat less, exercise more”, and her science isn’t referenced or even make sense.