Really? Jillian Michaels slams keto

(Jeff Gilbertson) #21

He should’ve watched the Widomaker video on YouTube and changed to Keto after getting a CAC. I’m sure his score would’ve been high.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #22

I really did like Bob on the show. He’s a nice guy, although misguided.

(Jay AM) #23

Is it wrong to wish insulin resistance on people?

(Ellen) #24

Are you suggesting that an applied physics degree from some little university that no one’s ever heard of should mean more than what some personal trainer has to say???

(charlie3) #25

I’ve spent several months listening to the keto promoters and they convinced me and I’m still convinced. Even so I’m also interested in the arguments against keto–if they are as well founded as the arguments in favor. So far I’m only finding hatchet jobs from the anti keto folks.

(Karl) #26

The nerve of me :slight_smile:

Truthfully though, I found it hilariously ironic that a fitness-video-pimp was trying to teach a physicist about thermodynamics. It’s like going to a mechanic for medical advice on a brain tumor.

I would have loved to see that clip!

(Alec) #28

Charles
Could you let us know the top 3 arguments you found?

I have really only found these 3 arguments against:

1. It will raise your cholesterol and cause CHD. Clearly the studies and science say this is false.

2. It is an extreme diet and therefore must be bad, and can’t be sustainable. No science here either, just a perception and viewpoint. And we all know it IS sustainable.

3. This is the reverse of what ALL the experts tell us. How can you think they are all wrong? My answer to this is always: go look at the science, and also: do you see the CW working?

I do often see people roll their eyes when I explain how I have dropped a quarter of my body weight in 9 months. It’s amazing that the public perception of low carb has been so demonised by the establishment that despite it being a well established historical diet that works, it has a very poor public perception.
Cheers
Alec

(Diane) #29

Oh, this has got to go in my hall of fame for best answers! So. Very. Well. Said.

Thanks!

(Michelle) #30

Jillian can’t make money off of keto. So why would she endorse it?

(Jessica) #31

And we have a winner…

(charlie3) #32

So far what I have found against keto doesn’t persuade me to try some other system. The strong point of keto is it’s getting results, for a lot of people in a lot of different ways, right now, real time, including for me. The critics I’ve listened to so far tend to propagandize and duck core issues. My take away when that happens is they have a political agenda that’s not in their presentation that’s ma be more important than my health. You don’t want to be taking advice from people with that conflict.

Keto seems most comfortable with scientific scrutiny. If the science finds something that needs changing that’s okay. I’m agnostic about food. I just want to live long and prosper.

(Alec) #33

This is so important. I think we should rename this the rational diet. If the science clearly showed that eating a certain carb is a clear net positive to health, I would hope that we would all start eating that carb, and find a way to manage that in our rational/keto diet.

I am not here because I don’t like carbs. I am here because the science shows they don’t like me.

Exactly!

(Karl) #35

Eventually you have to come to terms with how you feel about this perception :slight_smile:

Me personally, I no longer care that Keto is demonized in the media or if public perception of it is poor. In fact, I’m kind of baffled by people rushing to defend Keto. Who cares what the media thinks about it? It works, isn’t that good enough?

With friends and family, well, I guess you can make a defense argument - but I think you could easily counter any anti-keto sentiment with “I understand your concern, but please respect the fact that I’ve done the research on this and this is what I really want to do.” I mean, yeesh - you’re just cutting carbs, not joining Heaven’s Gate.

If people aren’t down with Keto, that’s fine. More meat & cheese for me.

(Steve) #36

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. I care that so many people have their heads firmly planted up their backsides. People refusing to acknowledge facts, continuing to support the status quo of consuming poison are only continuing to propagate ignorance…and costing lives.
How many people will die this year of complications from diabetes, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s, the list goes on…?
Needless suffering and deaths.
People in positions of influence and authority are the most guilty. I keep saying “Someone should get Oprah on Keto”. I’m only half-kidding. Considering how she’s “enjoyed” a roller-coaster with her own weight / health, I’m sure someone close to her could convince her to give it a whirl.

Do we not have any of the Keto crew here with friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend connections that could get close? :slight_smile:

It would only take one…one major influencer to make people start to take this seriously. As popular as Keto has become, most people put it on par with gluten-free foods.

(Brian) #37

She isn’t making one thin dime off of me anyway. No interest in what she has to say. No desire to watch anything she appears in on TV. Not interested in any of the products she touts. Not interested in her ideas on diet, health or exercise. Will not be buying any of her books or videos.

To me she’s about as much of an authority as Oprah or Phil Donahue. Just entertainers that tickles the ears of the masses saying just what they need to to maximize their public image.

Got off that train some time back and pretty much never looked back.

:slight_smile:

(Karl) #38

That’s fine, can’t all have the same opinion.

I just feel that it’s up to the individual to find out what works for them health-wise. And I agree that policy and the status quo are hurting far more than they are helping. But we’re not “in this together” as much as we like to think we are (again, in my opinion). We’re all just too different from person to person. We owe it to ourselves to question that status quo as individuals.

Think for yourself. Question authority. -Timothy Leary

(Karl) #39

She’s ba-aaack: https://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/diets/a20798472/jillian-michaels-keto-diet/

(karen) #40

You know, I think this is really another straw man argument. She’s arguing that if you avoid processed foods you’re not going to put yourself in a place of super high insulin spikes. Maybe, maybe not. But that’s not really the point, the point is that most people have been experiencing those junk-induced high insulin spikes (as well as cell membrane derangement due to industrial oils) for years and years now. The damage is done and keto is trying to 1. baby along a system that’s in crisis, and 2. repair the damage.

Also, here we go again. "Those who approach the high-fat diet with the mindset that they “can eat whatever” in any quantity are making a huge mistake, said Michaels.

I agree with that, but “any quantity of whatever” is NOT the hallmark of ketogenic diet for most people.