Real-Life "Keto Support Groups"

(Sam) #1

Hey guys. I’ve been doing Keto on and off for several years, but I have a hard time never cheating without peer support, and I REALLY crave a ‘fellowship’ for keto’ers.

Imagine a world where there are ubiquitous support groups for keto - similar to how there are ubiquitous support groups for alcoholism and addiction.

“Ketogenic Recovery”, or “Ketogenic Society”, or “Ketogenic Support Group”. Meetings govern themselves and make their own arrangements for rent, etc. A few bylaws, a non-profit 501c3 status, and a collaborative textbook written - explaining what keto is and how to do it.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

“Ketonians Anonymous”—love it. “Hi, my name is Paul, and I’m keto.” :+1:

(Laurie) #3

Of course, it’s a great idea! Lots of ketoers feel isolated and would benefit from this kind of support.

A while ago, a forum member posted about her local support group. I think they met in each other’s homes for a meal, conversation, and a cooking lesson. Unfortunately, I can’t find the thread.

I used to attend OA meetings where all the members were on Atkins. It was really more of an Atkins meeting, as we didn’t discuss the 12 Steps much. We met in a restaurant and ordered steaks with extra butter, etc. Friendships were formed and we’d invite each other for lunch, go for walks, etc.

(Sam) #4

If you guys wanted to do make this happen, how would you do it? What would your first steps be?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5
  1. We admitted we were powerless over insulin.

2. Came to believe that the right way of eating could restore us to metabolic health.

3. Made a decision to eat less than 20 grams of carbohydrate a day.

4. Made a list of all the foods that had harmed us, and became willing to stop eating them all.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our poor diet.

Well you get the idea. . . . :grin:

(Running from stupidity) #6

Do you mean “In-person” support groups? Because this place is surely a real-life support group.

Dude, you need another seven :slight_smile:

(Kristen Ann) #7

Agreed.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Help yourself . . . :grin:

(Running from stupidity) #9

SIX more

(Sam) #10

My thinking is straight-forward:

1. Decentralized support groups that can all share the same name, banner and a central directory. A few bylaws keep groups self supporting, self contained, and anonymous (George from group C cannot go on TV or radio and speak on behalf of the organization in any way). In many ways, AA’s traditions and bylaws would be in play - but modified.

2. Instead of having Steps, or a dogma-book like 12 step societies have, we would have an open-source, collaborative textbook. Like a wiki, with a Table of Contents. Including things like “Introduction to our Society”, “What is Keto?”. “Effects of Betahydroxybuterate”. “Zero-carb and mental health”. Or whatever people want to write. Bringing the community to come forward and create it’s own peer-reviewed material.

3. All the boring stuff. We’d have to have a website, facebook, incorporate as a 501©(3) so that nobody is going off and making the group their personal money-making, prestige-advancing machine.

I think this could explode into an success overnight. What would particulary ensure it’s success is it’s AA-like democratization of groups, and wiki-like democratization of source material. I think the community would be more incentivised to participate if the movement was “free like beer” and “free like speech” and “free from tyranny”.

Is anyone interested in joining a slack chat to create this thing? I can’t do it on my own.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #11

My interest is piqued. Sure!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Seems to me that’s pretty much what @Carl and @Richard have already given us!

#THANKYOUDUDES

(Sam) #13

I hear you! KetogenicForums is an incredible virtual resource.

What Ketogenic Society will be about is 1. IRL support groups (like AA) and 2. a collaborative textbook on all things Keto.

If anyone is interested in participating in the genesis of this project, becoming a founder of what could be the fastest expanding support group in human history, please message me and I’ll invite you to the Slack.

(Running from stupidity) #14

This is that already. You mean “in person,” it seems.

(Sam) #15

Thank you for the correction - really helpful :smiley:

(Andrew Fuller) #16

please invite me to the slack andyfuller005@gmail.com