Real homemade Probiotic fermented kraut and pickles - EZ!

I love red cabbage sauerkraut. My favourite kind is mixed with a little shredded beetroot for additional colour and flavour, and then ginger. Yum!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #22

I like using my repurposed Fido type tall 2 liter pasta storage jars for fermentation (no more pasta eating!). Thrift store buys for about $3 a piece. I have 4. I had found sources on the internet that said to remove the rubber seal and use a Ziploc bag filled with extra brine on top for your seal. I have had no real problems with that system. However you say that pressure can release out of the jars with the bail and seal in place. I guess I should try that. I could definitely get more volume in that way. I guess that I was afraid that they might explode under too much pressure. I have heard mason jars can explode with live cultures without venting.

3 weeks gives maximum probiotic development, some strains only develop after 2 weeks. Also most sugars will be digested by the bacteria at that point reducing carbs further. I use a mandolin to cut fine cut carrot sticks which stay crunchy longer than cabbage. My favorite besides sauerkraut is Chinese Paò Caí which I eat almost daily. I like to stir fry a few oz. of ground pork with extra bacon grease in the wok and the add a teaspoon of so of soy. Let that color the meat well, add a little chopped garlic and spring onion pieces until cooked and shut off the fire. Then throw in a cup of so of drained coarsely chopped pickle and toss. I let the Paò Caí come up close to room temp if I think ahead. Drizzle a bit of sesame oil to finish the dish. Keto lunch in 10 minutes, one dirty pan and one bowl!:yum:YUM