Ready to start keto lifestyle?

(Julie) #1

Hi there! Thought I was ready to start a keto lifestyle change to help me get healthy and get weight off my failing knees, but after reading about it here, not sure if I am ready. So much to know and understand. Any recommendations to help me understand keto better and what you are all talking about here? Book? App? Thread here? Website? Thank you!

(Allie) #2

At first, just focus on keeping carbs below 20g a day - ease into it gently, it’s a big change with lots to learn so go one step at a time and you’ll avoid getting overwhelmed.

(Julie) #5

Thank you all for your help and info. :blush:

(Kathleen Lupole) #6

Coming to this forum every day and reading the different threads has been helping me more than the books to be honest. This isn’t my first start on the low carb or keto plan, but this time is different for me and I believe it is because I found this forum. Just reading it inspires me. Good luck!

(Barbara Greenwood) #7

I started it really simply: no Grains, Potatoes or Sugar - GPS. That got things moving. Then I pretty quickly eliminated most fruit apart from berries.

I’ve refined and tweaked as I went along… but still stick to those basic rules.

(Michael Haisten) #8

My wife and I started off using the 30 day meal plan from www.ruled.me. It made it a no brainier as all we had to do is eat exactly what it said. The food is delicious and not too time consuming to prepare. We have limited grocery choices where we live and had no problem working it out. That was 9 moths ago and we are still going strong and even still use a lot of the recipes. One of the pluses is that the meal planchanges format every week so you can try out different methods, including intermittent fasting and see what works for you.

She started for Type 2 diabetes and is now totally unmediated after 10 years of ever increasing meds. I started for weight loss and am down 85lbs. so far.

(Julie) #9

Thank you and congrats to you and your wife…great accomplishments!

Wow! gives me some hope. Great work. Have to work on my Type 2 diabetes.
Numbers are improving.

(Kelly) #11

I told my husband about the ketogenic diet just before a weekend out of town that was planned. We did a little bit of research online but decided to jump in feet first when we came back from our get away. I felt very anxious and still not feeling prepared. I bought a keto cookbook, joined a support group on Facebook (it helped at first but a lot of people have a misunderstanding of what keto is) and talk about it frequently with my husband. We have found this WOE very easy. I don’t crave sugar anymore. Between the two of us we have lost about 90lbs. We don’t plan on stopping.

So here is my advice: just go for it. You will learn what works for you and what doesn’t. Stay below 20g/day

(suzanne) #12

Hi everyone, brand new keto person here. Second day in. I miss my carbs. Not eating them, but feels weird not eating toast, fruit etc. Feel okay so far, but it all just feels strange. Anyone in the same boat?

(Mary) #13

That passes, @bingeater. But yeah, the first few days are very … disorienting. All that browsing through the refrigerator for a bite of this or a nibble of that; grabbing a little something while preparing dinner… You will become more mindful, I promise!

(Keto in Katy) #14

That is outstanding. Congratulations on your success!

(Brian) #15

Don’t let it be so complicated that you never start. It’s really not rocket science, at least it doesn’t have to be.

For me, it was a matter of figuring out what foods spike insulin the most and there is a lot of info online for what diabetics eat. My diet fits that pretty well.

The basics for me: no potatoes, no pasta, no rice, no bread, no grains, no sugar, very few beans, and almost no fruit. I know, that’s a lot of things gone. But it’s not everything. And there are some good substitutes out there.

So what CAN I eat? For meats, I eat fish, chicken, turkey, beef, and bison. For veggies, I eat non-starchy, like cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, asparagus, zucchini type squash, cucumbers, lettuce, lots of different types of greens, mushrooms, avocado, tomato, garlic, onion, green beans, and okra. (I’m sure I missed some good ones, but there are plenty!)

I do eat farm eggs and dairy which includes many different varieties of cheese, butter, and heavy whipping cream.

Something that was difficult to wrap my brain around was the idea that fats are not evil. But I am careful about which fats I want to consume. For me, I stick with the fats I would get in an egg or a piece of meat or fish, or real (grass fed when I can get it) butter, coconut oil or olive oil. Those are what I have and use and I avoid soybean oil, corn oil, crisco, and most of the other oils. There are a few other good ones like avocado oil and macadamia nut oil that are good but are a little more exotic, I haven’t gotten any yet, although, I am tempted to get some avocado oil to try to make some of my own mayo. I’m told that’s pretty good eats.

This got longer than intended. But it doesn’t have to be difficult or complicated. Plan out some meals that you would enjoy and dive in. Don’t let the “keto flu” scare you. It’s not as big a deal for everyone. I hardly noticed it at all. My wife didn’t mind it much either. Can’t say whether you’ll have a hard time or not, it’s kind of an individual thing.

Wishing you all the best as you start your journey!

(Doug) #16

Nice post, Brian. :sunglasses: So true…

(suzanne) #17

Thank you! On day three now and actually feel good and am proud of myself for not cheating in any way. I’ll see how the rest of the week goes!

(Richard Hanson) #18

I started when I went to a new doctor to renew a bunch of prescriptions I was taking for T2D, cholesterol and hypertension. The only “presciption” I received was for a ketogenit diet plan on one sheet of paper.

I read it and thought “no way *!34$%%32 *334$$” and other colorful things.

It pointed me to dietdoctor.com, and also cronometer.com for tracking food, and directed me to eat less then 25 g/day carbs, less then 0.8 g/day for each kg of lean body mass, 1000 kcal/day and a new life filled with hope and joy.

There is no reason to wait.

I have spent a great deal of time reading everything I can find about diet, nutrition, keto, … since that time, but all of that is in response to amazement, anger, and interest, and is not necessary. This is not nearly as complicated as it might sounds, but I think a large segments of the keto community is very interested in the science, the truth, as we are unlearning everything we once believed about what is or is not a “healthy” diet.

I do not perceive any good, rational reason to wait.

Enjoy your amazing new life.

Warmest Regards,
Richard

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #19

Thanks for this, @Bellyman!