Read a scary article

So in my Keto research as of late I read an article stating that when one switches to a Keto diet the brain and body take time tombstone fat adapted…which I agree with. However the article states that the brain is starving during this time and that causes damage. Has anyone else read or heard anything similar? I just came across it and am now reading the articles on here for counter information! Thanks!

(Michelle) #2

Sounds like scare mongering to me. In a fuel switch - the brain gets it’s glucose and then I’m sure the body protects the brain to get it’s required energy before the rest of the body. Meaning, it exhausts glucose and then ketone fuel goes to the brain right after. Maybe this is why some get keto flu? Rest of body suffers while brain is getting ketone fuel.

the brain is so metabolically active - like 25% of your metabolism is going to fuel the brain (I think that’s the right stat). So, I would say all the ‘carbage’ that one eats is much more damaging to the brain than a few days of fuel switchover.

(Arlene) #3

Yep, call it like it is! I guess all the ketogenic eaters out in the world are just losing their brains, minute by minute. I had to have someone else type this for me because I am losing my brain power.

(Adam Kirby) #4

If this were true than we would have been causing brain damage during our entire human history because people fasted all the time.

(Keto in Katy) #5

I wish I could read this post but my brain stopped.

:joy::joy:

(AnnaLeeThal) #7

To this I would say that our bodies are not that stupid.

(matt ) #8

“Tombstone” is a funny auto correct.

(Meeping up the Science!) #9

The brain does not starve in the absence of ketones and glucose as long as protein is present. The body prioritizes fueling the brain at all costs, over all other organs.

When there is a need for glucose after glycogen stores are depleted, the body basically goes “hey, s’up liver - make me some glucose from protein.” And so it does. This is called de novo glucose synthesis, or gluconeogenesis (GNG). This basically means that new glucose is made from base materials.

Much of the “keto flu” is actually created not from damage, but you feel crappy because you have a higher demand for essential electrolytes. Much of the keto flu can be averted by taking them.

There are cases of going into and out of ketosis causing seizures in people with epilepsy before they are stabilized - but this is why typically, when used as an epileptic treatment, people are kept inpatient to transition. Whether or not this causes damage, I have no idea. Possibly? However, this is a rare and exceptional occurrence when compared to the general population.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

Why do you people torture yourselves reading this crap? It’s about as edifying as the National Enquirer at the check out stand.

Just went back and saw that :joy:

Link to article, or source, please?

(Steak and iron) #13

Your brain is starving? Have them explain why your body would allow damage to its most important organ if it’s deprived of a nutrient that’s only been available year round for the last few thousand years.

(Alex Dipego) #14

Think of what keto is used for, seizures. It lowers the inflammation in the brain to allow those prone to seizures to actually have a life.

The brain is mostly fat in content and as humans our brains are huge and we’ve eaten high fat in our history but developed further.

There is a reason why Alzheimer’s is being called type 3 diabetes. Sugar is the problem in the brain.

(Nick) #15

It’s utter poppycock. And it’s an insult to our species’ adaptive heritage that anyone even for a moment dare postulate such pseudoscientific counter-evolutionary drivel.

Here’s one of them :confused: https://www.thepaleomom.com/adverse-reactions-to-ketogenic-diets-caution-advised/

This article is drawing conclusions on five papers based on children with epilepsy, being given other drugs while on keto diet and a host of other medical complications and variables not associated to keto.

(Kathy L) #18

I think jimmy Moore (not sure what podcast tho) debunked this article a while ago… I’ll see if I can find their comments too.

(Kathy L) #19

Jimmy Moore and the doc responded to all the points in her article in podcast # 23:
http://ketotalk.com/2016/06/23-responding-to-the-paleo-mom-dr-sarah-ballantynes-claims-against-the-ketogenic-diet/
KEY QUOTE:(from KetoTalk podcast website): “This just seems really odd to me why a prominent voice in the Paleo community would promote something like this. I wonder if they did studies of people who were sick and had them go on Paleo and they had adverse reactions if she would like it if we extrapolated all the things that happened to those patients to the general Paleo population. I’m disappointed to be honest that this kind of information is getting out there and people believe it.” — Jimmy Moore

(Glenn Graham) #20

There are so many crazy articles out there, here is a new article from the Huffington Post(South Africa). The quoted research is hyper-selective, but she uses it for some crazy justifications.
“A LCHF diet increases susceptibility to depression and mood swings.” WHY?
“A meal like pasta or a snack of graham crackers will allow the brain to make serotonin, but eating chicken and potatoes or snacking on beef jerky will prevent serotonin from being made.” - Judith Wurtman 2004 Old bogus research.

I feel so sorry for Tim Noakes. He has a big battle down there in South Africa.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.za/asunta-simoloka/here-are-the-downsides-to-a-lchf-diet-that-you-have-to-consider/