Reached goal weight - all the NSVs are much more important!

(Felix) #1

I’ve been keto (not super low carb, but consistently low) since April, reached goal weight this month, BMI 24.9.* Phew. But here’s what really matters:

• learned to eat real food, not steered by carb cravings

• can miss meals without getting all shaky and worrying about passing out

• even blood sugars mean my moods are even too, greatly eased my depression. I swear there’s a connection between what we eat and how we feel, mentally

• my clothes fit. No more looking for the biggest tops to cover up with, I can just wear normal clothes – first jeans and t shirt in a decade. There have been remarkable developments in stretch fabrics!

• my knees healed up. Six months ago I was facing not being able to walk comfortably for more than a km ever again. I could definitely see how people give up on exercise. It just hurt too much. Did a class for overweight women (kettlebells, running, jumping, crawling on the floor) that made me want to vomit, and left me limping badly for 3 weeks. But slowly, slowly, as the new way of eating worked, I lost the weight, and lost the pressure on the knees. I can walk now without pain for up to 2 hours. And even after that, when the ache sets in, it’s still ok. (Just don’t ask me to crawl or jump! Grrr.)

• with my healed knees I did the Camino de Santiago from Porto to Santiago (220 km) in September/October. Had a wonderful time, carried 8kg knapsack, including cheese and meat for snacks

• am able to make good choices from menus from what I learned about how carbs work, and how they work on me. I don’t have to panic about what I’m going to eat, or worry about going off track.

• found out that wait staff don’t even blink at low/no carb requests. I thought they would make a face at my weirdness! Nope.

• allowed bacon into my life! Cooked it for the first time ever only a few months ago. It was always a forbidden food. Love. Love. Love.

• I’ve learned to love exercise for me, not for calorie burning. That doesn’t work! I trust in the way of eating to control body fat levels, exercise is to enjoy my body and moving in the great outdoors. I can exercise in a way that works for me, it doesn’t have to be violent trainer-yelling-in-your-face exertion.

• found out that lifting weights is fun! It feels like meditation and a great accomplishment when I’m done. 700lb leg press, baby. In sets.

• learned that losing weight can be a big upheaval in life. So much changes, including people’s reactions to me. Sometimes it really bothers me (You need to start eating! You’re skin and bones! No, I’m bloody well not. And piss off.) BUT it’s led me to reclaiming my body. It’s mine. I get to change it as I want, and I’ve learned how to do that.

• my energy came back. It’s absolutely true what Gary Taubes says - overweight people don’t not want to exercise because they’re lazy, it’s because their bodies are hoarding all the energy and won’t let it be used. With consistent low carb eating, my body has freed up the energy it was storing. Now I want to get up and go walk, no forcing.

• my blood pressure dropped from a “oh god I’m going to have a stroke” 147/84 to satisfying 115/74. It might even keep going down

• I. Just. Feel. Better.

My greatest thanks to all the people who put the word about Keto out there. I’ve listened to all the 2ketodudes podcasts! The WLS surgery episode with those amazing women was huge for me. And the new ones they’re producing are awesome, like Keto Woman.

I’ve been reading this forum too – it’s been a wonderful feeling of support, even if I wasn’t commenting. :-):grinning:

Now on to the next stages – KCKO

*I know these charts are bunkum for many builds. But they’re pretty accurate for me. Below 25 bmi I look and feel good, listed as “normal weight”. Funny there’s a 40lb range to play with before the charts would say i’m underweight.

Dude, you rock!!!

(VLC.MD) #3

So important.

Your NSV post was very incredible ! Congrats.

(Sacha Beauregard) #4

Totally agreed! The number on the scale is a great number, but it’s mostly a signpost. Continuing with this analogy, the everything-else kind of improvement would be akin to the weather clearing up as you’re traveling.

Just wait 'till you hit the “I get to admire myself in the mirror” NSV. =D

(Darlene Horsley) #5

Amazing accomplishments! Such an inspiring NSV post!

(Felix) #6

Oh that started happening 3 pounds into losing weight! I could tell and it was awesome.

(Sacha Beauregard) #7

Sweet! =D

(James Taylor) #8

Totally awesome and gives the rest of us hope!

(Sophie) #9

Your post was Brilliant! Thanks for all the reminders! :+1: