Re using fats

tallow
fat

Don’t throw your fats out after cooking with them (like bacon grease, lard, tallow, duck fat, etc). Store in a container for re use. No need for special equipment either - I usually use recycled jars (pickles, olives, etc).

Example leftover tallow after frying

Set up for filtration

Pour grease through sieve

Let filtered grease cool down to room temperature

This is what it looks like when cooled down (solidified). At this point, I like to store in the fridge

I’ve been wondering about this… @Fiorella, do you separate your fats, eg. Beef, Pork, etc, or do you just pour all leftovers into the one collective jar?

I prefer keeping the different fats separate. There’s no problem combining them from a technical standpoint…still perfectly edible combined. I personally keep them separated because they all have subtle differences in tastes, and I like to select which flavour to use.

Yep, it was the different flavours that had me curious. I was intending to have separate jars but then started to wonder if I was just being pedantic. Separates it is!! Thanks for the advice.

(Jenn W) #5

I need to get some of those small wide jars!

(Jeff Ryan) #6

What do you guys do with the stored fat?

I add my stored fats to most every recipe I make including, veggies, soups, salad dressings,cheese, etc.
Yesterday I steamed shrimp, cut into bit size pieces and tossed into a broth solely of melted butter and a smaller amount of melted bacon lard.

OMGoodness, delicious :smile:

(Larry Lustig) #8

Pure saturated fat should start good at room temperature for quite some time. I don’t refrigerate mine.

I use mine to roast collard greens, kale, and Brussels sprouts and to fry eggs. If still hard to stay ahead of the supply.

(matt ) #9

Moving to the Food-Fat section.

(David) #10

I’ve been saving chicken juices, and some bacon nectar. How long does it last?

(David) #11

I used some fat left over to fry some eggs, and it was the first time ever that I didn’t burn the edge of the eggs.

Last night I cooked a chicken, and in the juices that came out, I baked some cauliflower and broccoli. I had some for lunch today. It was gorgeous.

It can last many weeks at ambient temp, if you don’t have moisture or substantial bits of food (like fragments of cheese or vegetables) in the grease in touch with air.

If you are concerned, store in fridge or a cold room (cellar). There it can last more than a year.

(Ian Stavert) #13

I’ve been enjoying all these threads on fats, lard, dripping and bacon fat. I’ve been thinking I’m probably not getting enough fat in my diet, so finding ways of incorporating some more into my diet. I use butter a lot for sautéing, but just wondering if bacon/lard/dripping is fattier than butter? Anyone got an info on that? I store my used bacon fat in used Moconna coffee jars sitting on the kitchen bench but I think I need to put in the fridge, just to free up some bench space. I think for brunch tomorrow I will fry some eggs in bacon fat.

Bacon drippings and lard is fattier that butter. Because butter has some non-fat milk components. If you make clarified butter (ghee) out of butter, then it becomes equally fatty as lard.

By same logic, Bacon has some protein, and not as fatty as bacon drippings.