(Rant) How's that diabetes treating ya?

(Davi) #1

The most annoying/irritating part is people that are clearly sick and feel they need to get in my business.

Someone heard me talk about ketofest yesterday and how I’m eating LCHF. Then of course they started with the fat shaming and blah blah blah and all I said was show me the science! Whst I did want to say was, a how is that type 2 diabetes treating you? Oh yeah, that’s right, you need an insulin a pump because you arent being treated at all!!!
That person retreated and the one I was actually talking to quietly said to me “well they can’t”.

Now I’m sitting at a bar eating lunch and talking to the bartender about what I eat. Person sitting next to me decides to chime in “you gotta eat carbs!”. I ignored her and shortly after that she is talking to the bartender about her use of Splenda in coffee because she’s a diabetic.
Again, how’s that treating ya?!!!

I hate people that push their diets onto others so I stay in my lane. Now stay in YOUR lane and leave me alone with MY science based choices while you die from your government diet!

End rant.
Sorry just really annoyed and had to share!

(jilliangordona) #2

Recently, my boyfriend’s family had a sit down with him because they thought I was starving myself and have convinced him to starve himself too (we practice fasting :expressionless:). I feel ya on the frustration

(Jess) #3

Just want to share something I shared earlier today in a different but similar topic:

Just a gentle reminder that you don’t have to justify yourself to anyone!
Something I’m trying very hard to learn and practice (not just with fasting but with life in general) is that if I have a reason for doing something that makes sense to me then I don’t have to explain or justify those reasons to anyone.

I encourage you to try it out or just be aware of when you’re explaining yourself when you don’t need to. Pretty enlightening actually!

However I do also agree with helping, sharing and encouraging those who are willing to learn about what you’re doing.

Keep strong, stay true to what you believe and who gives a flying **** what anyone else has to say about it!

(Davi) #4

Oh yes definitely. That’s what I do. Still annoying though.
It reminds me of some vegetarians and vegans I’ve known that spend their time trying to force their ideas onto others and that we are somehow inferior to their life choices.
It’s interesting being on sort of that same boat but what you’re now being constantly preached is exactly what’s killing them.

As a carb burner, you’re shamed by vegans and vegetarians because you’re killing the world.
As a ketoer, you’re shamed by carb burners because their congressmen says you’re killing yourself. But yet, they’re the ones suffering.

Again, just a rant. I don’t like things being pushed on me and i hate it even more when it’s unsolicited and uneducated snarky remarks like that lady’s at the bar.

(Doug) #5

Davi, have to laugh - I’ve had quite a few people tell me, “You’ll lose weight if you eat more (and presumably smaller) meals.” Heh, the only thing that has ever really worked for me was eating less meals or none at all, and carbohydrate restriction. The inertia of the populace’s mindset is huge, though I do think that word is finally getting out, if still in small measure.

Around 400 million people are diabetic, worldwide, and about half of them don’t know it. Being a recently diagnosed Type 2 myself, it’s much on my mind, and I see so many people spouting patent nonsense about diet, nutrition, and weight loss. You are right - they should “stay in their lane” and not be worrying about others.

I also see untold numbers of people who are off the road as far as their own health, and either diabetic or headed for the disease. It goes beyond the “Standard American Diet;” it’s an amazing daily progression through an almost never-ending carbohydrate intake. The french fries, breads, biscuits, bagels, sweets, doughnuts, pies, cakes… Or is it literally drinking a case of Mountain Dew a day. Yeah, every 30 or 40 minutes, all day long, another can. I shudder to think of such carbohydrate dominance.

And of course, for 45+ years, that was me.