**RANT** Avoid Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe

(less is more, more or less) #1

We were on vacation, and I’m pleased to say my keto WoE remained strong. I’ve lost a few pounds, in fact. Anyhow, in debating what to eat for lunch one awesome day, and in my not wanting to be obnoxious about food, I went along with the crowd to Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe. They claim to be Greek, so I should be able to score some lamb and olive oil, right?

Wrong.

The menu wasn’t promising. I couldn’t have a platter of just lamb, I had to get sides of carbage (offered to everyone else) In desperation for satiety, I approached the wait staff about butter or olive oil, and whether they had either. Butter? The wait staff laughed, thinking I was being ironic. OK, then, olive oil? They did, but it was 80% canola oil.

Seriously.

I ate the 4 oz. of too-unfatty lamb (and too tough) a little of the greens. In the vernacular of the peasantry, it was a crappy lunch.

I checked their website out. They brag;

• Eating primarily plant-based foods
  • Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil
  • Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
  • Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
  • Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week

Dear Lord. I just ate in the FrankenWoE of “Son of Ancel Keys.” No, it doesn’t mirror true mediterranean food, just a retelling fabulist narrative by Keys himself. no and no. Never again. Fooey on all that.

(Casey Crisler) #2

Whaaaat??? Canola oil healthy? This place sounds like a “how to get fat and unhealthy” person’s dream.

My favorite Greek place in Phoenix is called Greek Pita (yeah, what an exotic name). But I haven’t been since Keto.

(less is more, more or less) #3

I love Greek cuisine, though, like yourself, I haven’t had any in my year+ of keto. I am comfortable with making an authentic Greek restaurant keto, not a mere facade of one.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Thanks, there is one of these in the Denver area, not too far from me. I had played with the idea of trying it out. I think I will just skip it. I’m not seeing much Med in those guidelines they are using. I’ll just treat myself to the steakhouse that serves up Wagyu steaks instead. I know they let you just get a big assed salad instead of carbage.

Again thanks!

(less is more, more or less) #5

If my rant helps prevent further oops, fantastic. My new litmus test is asking the establishment of they have actual butter available to patrons. I now see two reasons they may not:

1. Vegetables oil is cheaper, stores longer, and withstands poor meal prep better than animal fat
  2. The chef thinks canola is healthier

In both scenarios, I’m a loser, either way. I’m better off ordering a drink only and tap into my fasting-induced fat stores.

(Dan) #6

I noticed recenty that the VIRTA Health web site /blog lists canola oil as an acceptable fat. Is it somehow better than other vegetable /seed oils?

(Alec) #7

That will be Phinney’s doing. He, for some reason, believes canola oil is ok. I don’t.

(Brian) #8

I’m not a fan of canola oil but would pick it over soybean oil if those were my only choices. (It also doesn’t make my wife swell and break out in hives like soybean oil will. But I still like other, better alternatives.)

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Maybe he is just referring to cold pressed? It is hard to find and expensive. I’m with Dr. Cate Shanahan on the whole vegetable oil thing.
http://drcate.com/?s=canola+oil+

This explains the processing of canola oil:

(less is more, more or less) #10

I’ve softened my stand on canola oil, in this regard. Yes, it’s not as bad as other similar oils. However, if I can consume coconut, olive or avocado oil, or rendered animal fat, why would I choose canola instead? That’s less rhetorical than it sounds.

When would I choose canola over the more delicious oils if we are to green light its consumption?

The skinny for me is, if you don’t offer butter, nor non-diluted olive oil, you’ve lost my patronage.

(Doug) #11

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Good grief!

(less is more, more or less) #12

Well, let’s just say I have heightened appreciation for virginal olive oil. I always wondered what that meant.