Range of Motion

Hi all,

I’m 49 years old and I’m expecting to be cleared by my cardiologist to resume exercise. My hope is to resume running and strength training with the aim of getting back into martial arts. I’m (sometimes painfully) aware that my range of motion is not what it used to be. I’d like to incorporate into my training a program for developing functional range of motion.

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

My only suggestion would be to go easy on the excerise until you are fat adapted. No sense over-stressing the body while it has a major change in the works. After that, however, have at it!

My physiotherapist prescribed some stick-assisted exercises to help improve the range of motion of a shoulder that has not healed properly from a bad break. The exercises have really helped to break up adhesions and restore some of the range of motion.

(Karim Wassef) #3

I second that. I’m 45 with a shoulder injury and I find that jerky or joint-stressing motion is really counterproductive at this point.

I prefer slow, controlled weight lifting. Think “time under tension”. I use low weights but I take a count of 5 to go up. A count of 5 at the top of the range. A count of 5 to go down. And a count of 5 at the bottom of the range while under tension.

So that’s a count of 20 for one rep. Do that for 10 reps. And do that 3 for sets.

It will take much longer but it’s safer and more effective for building muscle consistently.

Use a low enough weight and be very careful of your range of motion. Get a trainer if you need to for a short period.

I find that elbow positioning is really important. Never let your elbows go back behind your torso.

If you want some solid advice … check out athleanX vids.

Also scooby is controversial but you can’t argue with his gains at his age

(Windmill Tilter) #4

Interesting. It sounds similar to Body by Science but with longer pauses between the eccentric/concentric, and more sets. What’s this called?

(Karim Wassef) #5

“Time under tension” … :smiley:

It’s especially important to go slow on eccentrics but this pushes each of the four stages to remain loaded and controls the range of motion so your don’t get to those “rest” positions at the top or bottom of the motion… always stay under tension

It’ll turn a 10lb weight into a monster

I appreciate the feedback. I especially like the “time under tension” idea and I’ll be sure to pace myself as I bet back in to the exercise.