Ranch Meats

(Stacy Blanchard) #1

I bought half a pig and in the fall I’m getting half a cow from a local rancher. You could ask friends to see if they want to split an order if you don’t need that much meat. The more you buy, the cheaper it is. I knew nothing about purchasing meat this way. I just called some of the local ranchers through an Internet search and they educated me on the way that they run things. And I just bought from somebody I felt comfortable with.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

Half a cow would present a storage problem for me. An 8th of a cow would work better.

The fun thing about buying meat in this manner is that you learn some new pieces and new ways to cook. Pork shanks, oxtail (get that… really, get the half with the tail on the cow)… are you getting some of the offal. Beef heart FTW.

In general, i’ve been told by folks that do this all the time that you need to consume the meat within a year.

I thought this thread was going to be about ranch dressing :stuck_out_tongue:

(Stacy Blanchard) #5

My go to ranch dressing (I hate to disappoint)
1 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Sour cream
2 tsp Lemon juice
2 tsp Dried parsley
1 tsp Dried dill
1 tsp Dried chives
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Onion powder
1/2 tsp Sea salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
1/4 cup Unsweetened almond milk ( often use whole milk)
Whisk all ingredients together. Add the milk last, gradually, until you reach desired consistency (possibly less for a thick dip or more for a thinner dressing).
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to let the flavors develop. Store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.

Sprinkling of cayenne !!

(Stacy Blanchard) #7

I have not as of yet gotten any. I just ofdered the pig and the butcher will call me to find out specific instructions. I will have to get back to you on that question. I do cook quite a bit and I’m not afraid to try things.

Have you seen the What Did You Keto Today? thread?
I don’t think that would be a problem for a lot of us! :laughing:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Meats will keep nigh indefinitely in the freezer. They may get some freezer burn, and be less than optimal after 6 months or a year, but they remain nutritious and edible, even with freezer burn.

Sounds good. I just buy ranch myself. I only use a little on my salad anyway.

Heh, now the title of this thread is different. Before it just said “Ranch”

(Stacy Blanchard) #11

I don’t have great tech skills so maybe somehow it got changed. I do need all the help I can get. Haha

A 1/2 of a beef does not yield as much meat as you might think. Once the bones, etc. are removed. Of course I also don’t know how much freezer room you have…Might just be the one over the fridge!

We get 1/2 of a beef every year around this time and it doesn’t generally last us a whole year…We like to get pork as well and we usually have venison.