Ramping up Ironman Training - Need Help

(Todd) #1

New Guy - First post.

I’ve been keto since Jan 20th and am enjoying the benefits of being fat adapted. I’m signed up for Ironman Boulder that is taking place June 10th and have been slowly ramping up my training leading up to it. Recently, I’ve really been hammering the bike (since I have a knee issue that will keep me down for 2-3 weeks) more than usual. Problem is when I’ve completed my ride I have overwhelming cravings for carbs - and it’s sugar more than anything.

Last night, for example, I rode 30 miles after my PT appointment and was not pushing the pace at all. When I got home I showered, ate chicken thighs, asparagus, 1 avocado and drank about a liter of water. I sat down to stretch out and all of a sudden I had this major need for a Coke, or a candy bar, or Fruit Juice and I could not shake it. I tried all the tricks I could think of and even went to bed to try to sleep through it but I couldn’t fall asleep. Finally, around midnight, I said screw it and raided my wife’s candy drawer and ate 1 fun size snickers. It was if someone gave me a shot of morphine or something as my body and mind relaxed and I felt immediately satisfied.

I typically have great discipline and self control and can really dial myself in - but this isn’t the first time I’ve felt like this after heavy training days or when I have multiple work outs in a day. Those of you who are cyclists, runners, swimmers, triathletes, whatever…have you had this experience and is this normal? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

(Paula Green) #2

Hi Todd. I have done two Ironman events but not as a keto athlete. However I was very low carb compared to most athletes - I trained with real food and used my carb allowance around training. I didn’t really measure my macros (which I know isn’t super helpful) but I’m sure I rarely went above 100g and most days way less.

These days I still use bananas and cold potatoes as my go to fuel for any exercise over 90 minutes. anything below that I train fasted.

It might be worth checking Ben Greenfield blogs/podcast. He did Kona as a keto athlete although I’m sure his version of keto was up to 100g of carbs a day too - he was still in ketosis at this level.

I suspect living in Boulder you are a fast athlete - I’m one of the slow ones at the back so probably easier to run on my fat stores :slight_smile:

It doesn’t surprise me that you craved sugar so badly. I still get that every few weeks after being very low carb and training hard (training for London Marathon) it’s as if my body catches on to what I’m doing and just needs fuel.

I’m sure the more fat adapted you get the easier it will be but an Ironman involves a huge amount of training and in my opinion you probably could get away with a few more carbs than most people here. Just try to keep them to real foods.

Good luck with your training. Not sure I’ve helped much, but I’m sure others here will be able to.

(Alan Williamson) #3

To power up, I use L-Carnitine supplements. They goose fat metabolism. For recovery, taking BCAA between meals will boost protein synthesis to build muscle. Leucine is the most important one. This one works good. Don’t need anything fancy.

https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en_US/products/bcaa-1000-caps

(Todd) #4

I don’t have a problem with energy or feeling like I’m wiped out or tired. The struggle I’m having is with intense sugar cravings after my recent rides. I don’t know what to make of it or how to respond to it.