Qurt gives a whole new meaning to "frozen yogurt"

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

The Kazakhs call it the “cheese of resilience.” Try “hard as a rock.”

For centuries, nomads of Central Asia made this stuff by fermenting the milk of whatever animal was handy–sheep, cow, camel, goat, horse–and then rolling and drying it into travel sized tidbits that could be quickly dissolved in water on the trail, campfire optional. Sort of like pemmican in a malted milk ball. PowerBar, eat your heart out.

There’s a recipe, anyone game?

(Omar) #2

We have this in the middle east.

very common even today

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Fantastic, give us a report. How do you eat it? Is it a daily thing or like a random snack? Are their flavors? Are there good places to get it and bad ones or do people mostly make it at home? What does the best stuff taste like?

(Omar) #4

The history behind it is the same history for why old society make “dry food” all over the world.

but then after modern methods of preserving food became common all over the world, old people who lived through the twilight period between old and new still use old preserving methods.

The way I eat such dried yoghurt in my region is just like potato chips. If they have been dried long enough, they can be hard (too dry ) to bite.

Some people add water to it and cook it with other ingredients, but I do not like it that way. But if it is not fermented long enough before drying, it will contain lots of lactose. I think will be more lactose as percentage due to the loss of water.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

Interesting! I think I’d rather snack on those than pork rinds, which tend to be dry and mealy in the mouth and don’t offer a lot of protein, anyway.

Thanks for the info, it’s nice to have a reporter on the scene, so to speak.

(Bob M) #6

I would make those. The oven and hair dryer trick sounds interesting, although the hardest part would be getting the time to do this three days in a row.