Quick start into ketosis?

Been fasting on an off for a while so slightly used to it. Went about 36 hrs without food or water then started having a sore head and last night felt really sick after breaking my fast with a bone broth. Feeling fine this morning going to have the bone broth for dinner later tonight. So my question’s:

1. Was i experiencing the veto flu?

2. Will I get in to ketosis quicker by fasting 24hrs then drinking bone broth?

Im planning on fasting and breaking it with the bone broth for 1 more day after today (3 days all in) before i start introducing fats to my diet. (am I even doing this right?)

(Rob) #2

Probably, of a sort, but until you’re body’s not running on fats, it’s gonna be painful.

No. It’s not a magical keto elixir, though it is useful later on when you’re fasting properly and full of great nutrition. By all means keep taking it, but you won’t get there faster.

If you have not yet introduced fats to your diet, then you are almost certainly not “Fat Adapted” (see the FAQ) and if that is the case you will struggle with fasting as you’ll be depriving your body of the energy it needs and it will complain, hence the nausea and headache. I would urge you to consider stopping now.

I have recently started a Fasting FAQ

which you will be able to refer to for some more details, but for now at least it’s not the right time to be fasting. It will come, but first we need to get you set off on the right foot.

1. This is not a sprint, it’s a marathon. Forget about shortcuts, just focus on the basics.
  2. Eat moderate protein and replace the carbohydrates you eat with fat. When you’re starting out, it’s helpful to use 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrate as a guideline and then adjust after a few months if they are not working for you. Eat to satiety. It may help to use a macro calculator such as:
  1. Keep hydrated & take 5g of sea salt per day (it will help avoid nausea, lethargy and headaches). See…

After a week or so you should be in Ketosis. Fat Adaptation takes around 6 weeks and after that you can re-introduce fasting and you’ll be much better equipped to cope with it.

Check back in on the forum for more guidance. :smiley:

Curious why no water for 36 hours? That would give anyone a headache. Gotta drink water.

(TJ Borden) #4

Nothing more to add. @MmmBacon nailed it, so I’ll just second he said.

Dry fasting us pretty hard from a physiological perspective. That’s probably what triggered the headache.

Eating fat doesn’t cause ketosis. Lack of nutrient availability causes ketosis. All foods are insulinogenic to some degree. Carbs the most, fat the least. That’s why fasting is the quickest way to get into ketosis: basal insulin goes down and forces the body into lipolysis. Many people report skipping keto flu and start feeling good after a couple of days.

I saw a thing on youtube, "Hard Fast’ and figured i would give it a go to see if it could help get into ketosis

Thanks for the info. Appreciated!