Quick Question on Fasting

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #1

Hello, so had a quick question about fasting since it is my first time. Can you drink water or coffe while fasting or do you have to completely go without anything? Second if I eat my last meal at 2pm then skip dinner, would this be long enough to have any effect? My next intake would not be until 8am the next day. I wish to try for longer but I do still get hungry sometimes. Thank you for any info.

(Diane) #2

Definitely drink water. Dry fasting is usually problematic. Dr. Jason Fung (the Toronto nephrologist who uses therapeutic fasting in his IDm clinic) warns against dry fasting.

Here is a link to an article regarding fasting tips on the IDM (Intensive Diet Therapy) website:
https://idmprogram.com/practical-fasting-tips-part-12/

With regards to fasting, there is usually a natural progression the longer you’ve been eating ketogenically. The 18 hour fasting/ 6 hour eating window you’re describing is one that is used by many people.

I would encourage you to listen to your body. Your tolerance for fasting may vary from day to day and may increase over time as you continue to eat ketogenically and become increasing fat adapted.

Good luck!

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #3

Okay good because I also want to do some moderate walking durning this time and well, that makes me thirsty.

(Jane) #4

I drink black coffee with a pinch of salt in it and water when I am fasting. Everyone is different and it depends on your goals. I don’t want the caffeine withdrawal headache so I don’t give up coffee when I fast - just the extra goodies I normally put in it (butter, HWC, stevia).

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #5

Well I planned to stop eating by 2 pm today and not eat again until 8 am tomorrow this way I don’t have to give up my coffee. I just hope it’s a long enough window to jump start my progress.

(Jane) #6

How long have you been eating keto?

(James) #7

I have to have my coffee and water during my fasting window.:coffee:

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #8

Two weeks, well I basically ate like this before for the most part but my body wasn’t In Ketosis.

I often do Extended Fasting of two to four days for weight loss and sometimes I still drink one cup of coffee with 1 tbsp of HWC and a squirt of Splenda – and I am still losing weight at a good rate. To each his own.

Now, if I Extended Fast for autophagy (a term you will learn about soon enough), I will limit myself to black coffee and unsweet tea along with salt, water, etc. Then it makes a big difference (maybe, perhaps, probably, we’re not for sure just yet about autophagy).

Go ahead and enjoy your coffee on a 16/8 – just don’t overdo the fixin’s.