Quick query

(Norma Laming) #1

To my surprise I have started a fast. I did a total fast for 3 1/2 days a couple of years ago and found at the end I was extremely cold and tired. So I decided that fasting is not for me.

Yesterday I was re-reading about the benefits of autophagy and this prompted me on the spur of the moment to fast today. Because of my earlier experience I decided that I would allow myself a couple of cups of coffee with cream so I have had those and I will probably do that tomorrow.

It is now nearly midnight on Sunday night, so I haven’t eaten since late yesterday afternoon. I’m not hungry and find the thought of food rather repellent. I am really keen to see how this works out.

But! I have a headache and feel cold. I can manage feeling cold by having a hot water bottle in bed, moving more and wearing more clothes. Could I have some suggestions please about the reasons for my headache and how to deal with it? I don’t want to take any medication. I have had a little salt in my drinks during the day.

I’m not sure how much longer to go on with the fast so I will see what happens. I would like to be able to do this regularly, perhaps even to 3 days a week, even if this was alternate-day fasting. I am convinced of the health benefits. I don’t really need to lose much weight so whilst it would be good to lose for 5 pounds that is it my priority.

(Tim W) #2

Headache = need more sodium, look up keto aide and have one a day, maybe take some other minerals like mag. You said you have a little salt, you can try increasing that to a couple of TSP per day.

Cold = get used to it. I fast often (5’ 11" 170ish pounds, 15-17% body fat) and I get cold within 20 hours of fasting (say I eat dinner at 5 PM, the next day I’ll be cold by 2-3 PM).

Usual minerals, sodium, magnesium, potassium and calcium. Caffeine? I always get headaches without caffeine I assume you are still drinking? Is this your usual amount?

Dehydration?

You jumped into extended fasting without much of a run up. It would be especially uncomfortable if your body isn’t keto adapted. Why not back off a bit and do some intermittent fasting. Maybe 16:8 or 20:4 and build up from there. Give your body a chance to get used to going long periods of time without food.

If you live someplace with inclimate weather :snowman: fasting this time of year is probably a little more challenging. But by spring, you’ll be well prepared.

I jumped right in, from moderate carbs. Spent most of late March and early April fasting from one special occassion to another. Some of my best weight loss. Started keto mid April and found fasting more of a challenge until I started feasting on fat a day or two earlier

(Norma Laming) #6

Thanks. I am keto adapted and have been for years. I don’t think I have jumped into an extended fast as atm I just haven’t eaten for 24 hours. But yes, it is a bit chilly here in England!

(Norma Laming) #7

I usually have one or two coffees a day but I don’t get withdrawal symptoms if I go without. I am looking around for a potassium/ electrolyte mix that seems good. Thanks

To help with the cold from fasting, it may be fruitful to incorporate regular ginger into the non-fasting diet so as to increase enzymes and circulation. Such as 1-2 capsules of dry ginger a day on the days that one doesn’t consume fresh sauteed ginger in a sauce or stir fry.

Ginger is used in traditional south asian medicine to boost digestive fire/circulation, ward off chills, and restore circulation to the extremities. Its amazing enzymatic actions also are anti-inflammatory, and 2 caps of ginger can be used instead of ibuprofin or aspirin for many aches and pains - which is very gentle on the liver and glands.

(Tim W) #9

I’m going to do some digging on this. If it works, I’ll owe you BIG TIME as I am already a little miserable with temps in the 60s.

I hope it does the trick - also making fresh ginger infusion tea (simmering the root for 10 minutes so as to extract the medicine) can be great hot in winter or iced in summer. I prefer to sweeten it some way though, as it has quite a bite!!!

(Norma Laming) #11

Thank you.I do try to eat ginger and turmeric but not as regularly as I should’ve thought I do have some in the fridge and I could make myself some ginger tea tomorrow.at the moment it is a bit cold and I’m just about to go to bed!

(Norma Laming) #12

Just to say that my headache turned out to be a slight head cold. This has been quite an advantage in that I’m not particularly hungry because of the virus. Unlike last time, I am having tiny pieces of things to eat and plenty of hot drinks.I knawed on a mutton bone yesterday, which gave me about a teaspoon full of cartilage and meat. Today I had a couple of coffees with cream and a bar of chocolate- not cheating! It was 35 g of non-dairy, vegan, dark chocolate sweetened with xylitol.

I am really interested that I’m not bothered about eating at the moment. I really wouldn’t want to eat anything even if I were not fasting. Yesterday I had some MCT powder and if I can manage to squeeze this in before I leave for work early tomorrow I will have some more. Though I know that not everybody agrees, I am persuaded that there is an advantage in taking exogenous ketones irrespective of fasting/wish to lose weight.

But I have just had to cook a small steak that was sitting in my fridge and couldn’t stay there without being cooked.that was a bit tempting.but I resisted.

I have no plans about how long I will continue with this but I would like to try to fast until Saturday morning, though I am doubtful that I can do that.

I don’t know if what I have described really counts as a true fast but I’m really pleased to recalibrate my thinking about food and my understanding of what and when I need to eat.

(Tim W) #13

Don’t worry about defining your fasting efforts, you do what you do and what works, well, it works.

You will find your relationship with food changes as you play with the protocol. 3-5 days into a fast and I “see” how much food is tied into our day to day lives. You being to “see” how fast food/junk food/food in general is being marketed and advertising is being shoved in our faces everywhere we turn (especially in the city). You begin to notice how often food plays into movies/tv shows/commercials (even when it’s not a food commercial). Bottom line, you just being to “see” how obsessed we are with shoving stuff in our mouths AND how, when you break that “you have to eat every three hours or you’ll die” rule and you don’t die, you realize that you re-define your relationship and follow YOUR rules. What makes you feel best/healthy/strong… then do that.

Best of luck to you!

Tim

(Norma Laming) #14

Thank you so much! That’s really helpful

(Tim W) #15

You are welcome!

I hope you enjoy the “freedom” that fasting brings to your relationships with food etc.