Questions

(Denise) #1

OMG I’m a little confused! I’ve read so much about the ketogenic eating plan. Tried it, starting on May 1st, so it’s been 6 weeks. I’ve lost a whopping 3 lbs! Very frustrated! I thought I was supposed to be able to eat bacon, high fat meats, etc, but then I figured out to eat the “heathier fats” like avocado and coconut oil. So I’m adjusting to that. I bought the ketostix and have not measured being in ketosis at all !! I have friends who want to sell me the Pruvit Keto OS product to put me in ketosis, but I’d rather do it with food. Then I found Ketones products that were not with an MLM and not as expensive, so I was gonna try them. But before I bought them, I saw that they were also offering MCT oil (in powder form) as an additional product. So I talked to a fitness trainer who worked at GNC and he told me to get the MCT oil (in oil form) to help burn the fat, and it’s good fat, and not to worry about the ketones products. So I’m about to try that. I guess I’m asking you guys here in the group for some guidance! I understand I should cut the carbs (no problem, done with that) and add the fat. I don’t drink coffee, so I can’t add ghee and other fat to that. I can add the MCT oil to my protein shakes though. I’m confused as to how to eat mostly fats in a day without eating too much protein. Can any of you give me an example of your meals, a whole day of eating, how you eat mostly fats without too much protein. THANKS!! I want to lose weight the healthy way, that’s my goal !!

Lazy Keto Anyone?

I think your reply here should be a post on it’s own. See if you can get that done or ask one of the @admins to help you. [done - CarolT]
Also you would need to give more information on what you’re eating and how much weight you’re trying to let go of. If you’re exercising a lot that would also impact your protein need.

(Dany Bolduc) #3

The food section is chuck full of recipes that fir the description of ‘mostly fat without too much proteins’.

A few quick examples:

•      3 Scrambled eggs with 1 Tbs Coconut Oil, 1 Tbs Bacon grease, 1 Tbs Butter (as much fat as they will hold). Add a couple slices of bacon or links of sausage

•      Quick sauce to accompany any meat. 4 Tbs Butter, ¼ cup Broth, ¼ cup Heavy Cream, ½ ts Dijon Mustard., Salt / Pepper (lots) I like it very thick, so I let it reduce a good 10 minutes.

•      Salads with lots of oil + mayo or Caesar or Blue cheese dressing as a side dish.

It’s really not that hard to add a lot of fat to dishes. What’s harder for some is to get used to smaller Proteins portions (for those that usually eat large portions of meat, like me)

I would definitely drop the Protein shakes, as it’s totally counter productive to your query of “how to add fat and not go over on the proteins”

(James storie) #4

The only fats you need to stay away from are vegetable based fats (oil, margarine, shortening). There is nothing wrong with bacon or fatty meats. Eat REAL food! Imo, powders and artificial ketones have no place in the human diet.

(Siobhan) #5
  • How many carbs are you eating? You should be below 20g of carbs per day for best results
  • How much protein are you eating? Many people (myself included) find that too much protein messes them up
  • How much fat are you eating? Are you eating to satiety or are you restricting it?
  • How much do you weigh, if you don’t mind sharing? Do you actually have a lot to lose?
  • What are you typically eating in a day?
  • How many calories are you getting? On keto you do not need to calorie restrict, especially if insulin resistant which many who are overweight or obese are

That said, some additional points:

• No special products, powders, liquids, or brands are needed on keto except the occasional vitamin. You don’t need them.
  • You are only a month and a half in, many people experience Post Introductory Stall Syndrome where they lose water weight and then stall as their insulin, hormones, inflammation, etc are being regulated. You may change visually, and may lose inches but not lbs for a while.
  • Vegetable fats are not inherently healthier than animal fats. Saturated fats are perfectly healthy for you, and there is no reason to restrict them

I have a post here which gives some examples of high fat moderate protein low carb meals right here:

You can also find recipes at

The recipes section of this forum