Questions on vegetarian diet

(Robert Eriksen) #1

Hey lovely keto people

I am a 27, 91 kg, moderately exercising(120 minutes running/swimming a week) guy whos also a lazy cook.

And here’s the problem: I have no clue how i get below 25 grams of carbs on a vegetarian diet and i dont know if the alternative meat i eat is too loaded with carbs too. I eat 500 grams of either cauliflower or broccoli, together with either 200 or 400 grams of a danish alternative product called chopped veggies, with a 1100 deficit a day and eating once a day. It’s written like this:

• Calories - 814 kJ/202
  • Fat -10 g
  • Carbohydrates - 6,2 g
    • – Thereof sugar -1,5 g
  • Protein - 18 g
  • Salt -1,2 g

It mainly consists of:

• Rehydrated SOJAprotein/-isolate (58 %)
  • Water
  • Coconut oil
  • Soja flour
  • Wheatgluten
  • Almonds
  • Penny buns
  • Tomatos

The result of both broccoli/cauliflower + chopped veggie brings me between 10-20% of my total intake in carbs.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Thank you for looking at my wall of text, and for looking at a very demanding question

(Michelle) #2

If I had to eat vegetarian (I’m not vegetarian, but we occasionally give up meat for religious reasons), I wouldn’t eat carby meat alternatives. You don’t have enough calories in your diet. Add an avocado and lots of eggs to your diet instead. Butter the heck out of your vegetables. Eat The lowest carb nuts. Maybe pecans or macadamias. It will be more difficult to get the amount of fat you need while keeping your carbs low, but it is possible.

(Robert C) #3

Also not a vegetarian but, if I suddenly had to convert, I’d go to a bookstore and buy a keto-vegetarian book or a keto book with a significant vegetarian section and start from there.

Your starting point might be unfixable. Especially with lots of cauliflower and broccoli stuck in there - modern versions of these are just not very nutrient dense but are carby.

A well written keto-vegetarian book (or book section) might steer you away from this sort of thing toward better modern nutrient and fat dense alternatives.

(less is more, more or less) #4

I’m an unrepentant carnivore, but there are many vegetarians in my life. I keep an open mind to plant-related dietary matters.

Diet Doctor, a solid LCHF reference, has several plans for our vegetarian siblings: https://www.dietdoctor.com/new-vegetarian-meal-plan

DD also had a podcast on the cycling and plant-based low-carb alternatives:

(Brian) #5

I would say, “good luck”. I tried vegan and vegetarian for many years and was never able to really find good health there. I wanted to, I really did. I just couldn’t get there.

I agree with the post above suggesting eggs. They’re a powerhouse of nutrition. Not sure if you would consider fish or not. The wider you open your range of foods you’ll eat, the easier it becomes to find complete nutrition.

I am not a fan of trying to get good protein from soy, many vegetarians rely heavily upon it. And no, broccoli is not the same as beef, despite Facebook posts that suggest it is so. (Yes, I really did see that not too long ago.) About the only fake meat I will eat on occasion is one that’s made with pea protein. (My wife is allergic to soy anyway.) But that’s typically only when we’re having vegetarian friends over and need to cook something that they’ll eat beyond the veggies.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

There are several threads with links to vegan or vegetarian eating plans, use the seach box to find those. Lots of good info.

(Robert Eriksen) #7

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I just can’t get myself to eat THAT much meat a day, which is why i stick to vegetarian food, even though im not a vegetarian at all. But on swimming/running days, i have to get 70-80 gram protein, which in ground beef is roughly 400 gram. That’s waayy too much for me to be happy with it. And i’m afraid if it’s not insanely simple recipes like the one i use right now it might not happen at all.

This so far works for me, but it seems like i really can’t call it keto at all, it just has some aspects of it. Eating once a day and a very high fat intake does however help me stop overeating, so i really don’t wanna give it up. I will definately look more into keto related stuff if this suddenly doesn’t work out.

(Mike W.) #8

Are you only eating 800 calories a day? Am I reading that right?

(Bunny) #9

If you eat chlorella here is a listing on grams to carbs

Chlorella, Seaweed (dried):

Could i suggest, Avocadoes, Eggs, Olives, Olive oil, Full fat goats cheese, Coconut MCT oil/powder, Butter.

I’ve been a vegetarian for over 20 years and exactly one week ago started trying to eat ketogenic for myself and to support my boyfriend who has put on a lot of weight in the past two years. It’s been a bit more challenging this way, to say the least. I think I’ve been experiencing a bit of the “keto flu”. Forgive me if I missed this, but do you eat dairy or eggs? I do and that’s been a life saver here. I also eat quite a bit of meat alternatives as I have been lucky enough to find several containing less than 2-3 net carbs a serving. I eat at least an avocado a day and make vinaigrette’s that are heavier on the olive oil than usual to help. I have only done this earnestly for a week but I will tell you, for the first time in years I am eating and feeling satiated. I often can’t finish a whole meal. I am happy to see another vegetarian trying this! If you are vegan, I know it will be a bit more challenging but I have found a few books on the subject of being vegan or vegetarian on a ketogenic diet and they have been helpful.

(Carole) #12

what’s a bookstore? lol

Hey, I read that a lot of people rely on avocados. Is there anything to substitute it? I try to cut down on avocados since they need so much water to grow which causes issues for people living near plantations… :thinking: