Questions for IDM Part #1

(Richard Morris) #1

Originally published at: https://obesitycodepodcast.com/{0eb281111a263d82d3fea6fde634cdebe92eb16973b39eb5d07b6c86ca51e6ba}postname{0eb281111a263d82d3fea6fde634cdebe92eb16973b39eb5d07b6c86ca51e6ba}/

Published: Oct 23, 2017

Powered by Podetize
This week we pause to let Jason and Megan answer questions about fasting and nutrition. The questions are a) Is insulin resistance forever? b) What’s the difference between fasting and caloric restriction? c) Is a low-carb diet hard on the kidneys? and d) what are the most common hurdles that IDM patients face when starting a regimen of ketogenic dieting and fasting?

Links:

Study: Effect of short-term carbohydrate overfeeding and long-term weight loss on liver fat in overweight humans

Study: Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD)

This was the best episode so far of the new podcast. I tend to enjoy the more knowledge based podcasts more than the story based ones and there was lots of knowledge for this episode.
Dr Fung was able to provide some information that connected the pieces of knowledge together for me and gave me things to follow up on. Just the revelation that you can get intracellular fat accumulation in muscle tissue in combination with insulin’s propensity to lower fat burning goes a long way to explaining why insulin resistance is so hard to reverse for those with a long history of it.
It’s a weird revelation that my journey may be a harder one than I realized it was going to be, but it is strangely reassuring to know why myself and so many others have struggled.