Question on dietary fat

(Jennifer) #1

I have been curious how dietary fat gets handled in the body. When does fat get stored right as fat? Does it get broken down to a bunch of different things? What are the different conditions that change how dietary fat is handled?

I know that a ketone burning person can eat a ton of extra fat and it just burns off as body heat, but I assume that extra fat in a glucose burner gets stored as more fat? Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Link with simple answer:

From link: “The sum of the physical and chemical changes involved in the breakdown and synthesis of fats in the body. Dietary fats are digested to fatty acids and glycerol in the small intestine, absorbed, and reformed into triglycerides that are transported in the form of chylomicrons. Fats may be stored in adipose tissue as potential energy or may be broken down to provide immediate energy. The liver has enzymes for the beta-oxidation of fatty acids and their use in the Krebs cycle. Fats may be formed from excess dietary carbohydrate or amino acids. Synthetic reactions produce phospholipids and steroids.”

(Jennifer) #3

I’ll take a look to see if it gets into how the process changes depending on the condition of your body… That is what I’m really curious about. I understand there are many variables, involved…

Thanks for the link.

Read this, its life changing.

(Jo Lo) #5

I brought a DXA scan to my well-known LCHF doctor and based on my body fat % he recommended not adding any additional fat to my food in order to reduce my body fat %.

No fat bombs, no MCT oil, no slurping butter and olive oil in hope to get higher keto numbers–It doesn’t work that way. Past a certain point you just put on body fat (if you are genetically of that persuasion, which my family is. There are exceptions)

He said to eat real foods like steak and eggs; they have the correct fat/protein %.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #6

Are we talking about Ted Naiman by any chance? (because I’ve heard him say that on video I think).

Anyway, I think that

…is right, except that too often these days, we can’t get meat as fatty is it would naturally be, unless you are lucky to have a traditional butcher who will cut it / leave it the way you want it.

If you have to buy meat from a supermarket, like many of us, then you are somewhat restricted in the fattiness of the meat you can obtain, and that is where people are inclined to add additional fat.

(Jo Lo) #7

Good point, Mike!