Question about Wheat Bran / Aldi Zero Carb Bread

science
food

(AldiZeroCarbBread) #1

Hi all,

Aldi are selling zero carbohydrate bread, however upon googling some of the ingredients I was confused as to how it’s labelled as “zero”.

Aldi’s bread contains Wheat Bran, which has 22g Carbohydrates per 100g after subtracting fiber:

https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Wheat_bran%2C_crude_nutritional_value.html

Is it more of an approximation to 0?

Cheers,

Look at the weight of a slice, it’s almost nothing. My keto bread has less than 1g net carbs for such a tiny peace too but it’s very, very far from being zero carb. Amounts matter a lot. If I use a tiny serving size and round down everything, I can make raisins “zero carb” too.

It’s so odd to me that not every country gives these numbers for 100g and they are rounded at that! It’s not very informative.

(And “0g guilt” is so upsetting. I would never buy anything that tries to make me feel eating some carbs or whatever is a sin.)

Because that’s a ridiculous way to label. Why would somebody care about what the macros are on 100g of bread, when the slice you’re actually eating is 28g? I don’t know about you but it doesn’t take me 3.5 slices of bread to make a sandwich! Giving a set reference point of 100g on basically everything when the actual servings people are eating vary makes no sense and gives a very misleading reference point to what we’re eating in real life. I can only speak for the US, but our system used to not be based on real life servings and it was completely stupid. Buying a normal small bottle of Pepsi when I was a teen could have been labeled as 25cals per serving… 5 servings a bottle! When EVERYBODY buys “a” bottle, and drinks the whole thing, that’s insane. Now a serving is that one bottle because that’s how it works out in real life which is way more realistic and easier for people to follow and understand. Reading a nutrition label shouldn’t require a scale to see what you’re eating.

Glad you found it. I got a loaf the other day to try it and liked the convenience of sticking a burger between a couple of slices. I have went back twice to get more and can’t find it. The stories of it being almost impossible to find must be true .

No, it’s informative for 100g and as we see here, very misleading for a tiny portion.
But to me, portions doesn’t make sense to begin with. My portions are surely different from other people’s portions. 250g bread is a decent amount for my SO, he couldn’t eat 20g or 100g, that’s nothing.
After ages on low-carb, sometimes I am able to eat a tiny slice but I still want to know the carb content! If it’s 0.9g net carbs, it’s NOT zero. Carbs get added up. Especially if I want multiple slices… People tend to do that (many sandwiches have 2 slices… 1.9g net carbs or 0? there IS a difference). I rarely eat bread but when I do, it’s not 40-50 kcal.

It’s fine to have numbers for a portion, especially in this case where there are slices already but I want it for 100g too, without stupid rounding down. It makes sense, it’s important information…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

Providing nutrients based on 100 grams makes lots of sense in terms of measuring and weighing. It also makes it very easy to calculate totals for a meal of different foods that in the non-metric world might be stuff like a tablespoon of this, a half cup of that and an ounce of whatever. And 2 slices of bread for your sandwich. Is that slice of bread 28 grams, 25 grams, 30 grams… You don’t know unless you weigh it. Guestimating is just another word for wishful thinking. Lots of people eat way more carbs than they think by measuring with wishful thinking. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #7

One of my pet peaves is seeing nutrition information for a cup of this or a cup of that…

Is the item finely chopped, diced, shredded, tightly packed, etc. & etc. ?

The weight and carb count could be all over the map.