Question about Running

(Stephanie Sablich) #1

Because I am an easily persuaded masochist, I got talked into entering the lottery for the 2018 Chicago Marathon. I accidentally got in. This meant that I had to sign up for a half-marathon in June to prepare, and a 10K in May, blah blah blah. I’m in week three of my half training, and feeling pretty awesome, if a little bit sore. (Side question: does anyone have any hip stretches they swear by?)

My question: is this going to mess with my keto journey? I REALLY like fasting and have pretty bonkers insulin resistance from… well… YEARS of untreated diabetes. Lots of derangement to cure. Fasting works for me, both mentally and physically. However, as I continue towards fat adaptation, but increase my mileage weekly… am I going to need to eat more? Is fasting going to mess with my ability to run?

Some background:

1. I flirted with keto for months, have been strictly keto for nearly 6 weeks.
  2. I’ve never been a runner of more than a mile or two at a time, but I am active (lots of movement, long hikes, etc).
  3. I’m currently using interval running (60 seconds run/60 seconds walk) for my weekly “long” runs while I build my stamina.
  4. I am 5’5 and weigh about 210 lbs.

Thoughts from experienced keto runners?

Running links
(Andrew Ord) #2

Read up on Tim Noakes. He is a marathon runner that has been Keto for a long time. I train regularly and can go easily 2 hrs of endurance (running or biking) without eating and have energy afterwards. I have been keto for 7 weeks and each week is getting even better. I am sure you will do great on the Chicago Marathon!

(Stephanie Sablich) #3

Thanks for the resource! Your input is appreciated. I’m nowhere near 2 hours (oooof that sounds bonkers to me) but slowly building, and it’s awesome to hear that you’re feeling good!

I’ve never tried to run while fasting on this WOE, I have when I was eating SAD…which was freaking terrible. I felt shaky and like I was going to pass out every time. Haha. I can’t wait to try after I’m more adapt and can fast! Let me know how it goes! :heart:

(Stephanie Sablich) #5

Right!? I could never push past a 5K in the past, and even that felt superhuman. This definitely feels better, and I notice that I am much stronger when I’ve fasted for at least a little while.

My guess is that you’ll find that motivation soon. It’s fun to see what our bodies can do. Thanks for the encouragement :slight_smile:

(Sybella) #6

Im training for the London Marathon which is happening very soon. Me and my partner Andy started off with IF from November 17 and then seriously getting into the Keto diet from the New Year. We had a lot of weight to loose and we are not runners. I can only tell you that we’ve done ok with fasting and training. You really can only experiment yourself and see how you feel to be honest.

(Stephanie Sablich) #7

Thanks for chiming in! You’re right; so much of this is individual experimentation and that isn’t always easy for me. I like having answers :slight_smile:

Best of luck to you and Andy!!

(GINA ) #8

I would say just keep at it. With this short of a lead-in to a full marathon, a run-walk method is a good idea. Look up Jeff Galloway if you haven’t already.

I do anything up to 7-8 miles fasted, but after that I have used Ucan in a smoothie with some berries, electrolytes, and coconut milk. I need to finish it 30 minutes or so before or I get the slosh-belly.

Do you do any yoga? I like the pigeon pose as a hip stretcher. You can do it even if you don’t do yoga too.

(Sybella) #9

I know what you by having answers. I’m still not sure if I should eat or not on the day of the Marathon So far I have found I am not feeling hungry when I jog. We do not go a very fast pace but it is constant. Andy has made some little bars that have chopped up fig & coconut oil in them. I wasn’t that keen when I first had one but it did not do me any harm at all…We are incorporating some walking strategies and now the distances are much more manageable both mentally & physically. I think taking some high fat food like pork rinds etc may work. We can decide on the run if we want them or not.

(Stephanie Sablich) #10

Thanks for the response! I am definitely going to stick with running and fast as much as I’m able; I definitely like running while doing IF; just wondering if EF is sustainable while increasing mileage. I’m definitely still building strength and need my rest days :slight_smile: , but working on it! We’ll see how things go once I push past the middle-distances like you mentioned.

I do Yin yoga about once a week, but pigeon is part of my daily stretching routine! That’s the best one I’ve found. I appreciate that suggestions :slight_smile:

(Stephanie Sablich) #11

I have a friend who has been doing IF for years (started because he was cheap, not for health reasons) and he’s the one who talked me into the marathon! He never eats before a long run, but will frequently bring along electrolyte “gels” with him for the really long runs (anything over 13 miles or so).

I’m curious about the walking strategies you are using. I’m building endurance during my weekly runs, but have been using the interval method during the long weekend distances, and find my times are about the same or even a little better. I’ve always been a treadmill runner and so pacing is difficult for me!

Whatever you decide, I’m curious about how it goes for both of you!