Question about fibre

science

I’ve just put a meatloaf (cheese stuffed, wrapped in bacon. Yummy!) in the oven. I used about 1/4 cup of coconut flour as a binder in it.

Looking on the pack as I was clearing up and noticed that it’s got 16g carbs but 42g fibre.
I know some people count net carbs (carbs - fibre) so how would this count?

Does it mean I can have extra carbs, off set by the fibre? (I don’t intend to but intrigued :wink:)

It means it’s a product from outside the US. It means the carb count is the net count.

If you live in England all fibre is already deducted from the total fibre line on all labels. How is cocunut flour in loaf? It does not dry it up too much?

Thanks ladies.
That makes more sense now :smiley:

Don’t know, meatloaf is still in oven. I’ll let you know when we’ve eaten it :wink:
I seem to have issues with almond flour (twice had really bad gut ache after eating fat head dough) so looking at coconut flour bread. I’ll let you know about that when I try it too.

('Jackie P') #5

I use ground flaxseeds to replace breadcrumbs in meatloaves and meatballs. Works fab,!

(Candy Lind) #6

Just be aware that it’s definitely NOT a 1-to-1 sub for almond flour, more like .25-to-1. Try googling “substitutions for almond flour” - I’ve read several informative pages on it. Megha from ketoconnect.net is allergic to tree nuts, so they offer plenty of almond flour alternatives, as do many others.

Yeah, I’ve read that a lot so going to use a posted, tested recipe.
Thank you for checking that I knew :smiley:

The meatloaf was delicious. Very moist. I cooked it in a loaf tin and was not prepared for the amount of liquid (fat/juices) that came out when I flipped it. I’d let it rest after taking it out of the oven too!

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #9

YUMMM! That looks like MY kind of meatloaf :sunglasses:

Looks wonderful!!!