Question about Accountability threads

(Mimi) #1

Hi, I would like to open an accountability thread. Are these private? Or can anyone read them and chime in?
I notice there is a lock next to accountability section.
Thank you!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Hi Mary, welcome! The accountability threads are public to members. Once you’ve read a little and been around a bit your trust level goes up and you can create your own accountability thread and visit others.

Give me a minute and I’ll give you more specifics, like how long, etc.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

Trust Level 1 — Basic

At Discourse, we believe reading is the most fundamental and healthy action in any community. If a new user is willing to spend a little time reading, they will quickly be promoted to the first trust level.

Get to trust level 1 by…

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Users at trust level 1 can…

• Use all core Discourse functions; all new user restrictions are removed
  • Send PMs
  • Upload images and attachments if enabled
  • Edit wiki posts
  • Flag posts
  • Mute other users

(Ellen ) #4

Thanks for that PetaMarie. I did not know the process either. Good question @MimiHI.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

@PetaMarie I thought muting other users wasn’t possible, how fo you do that! Might keep me out of trouble! :roll_eyes:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Hey, I just saw that. I think you can do something like prohibit them from messaging you but I’m not sure there’s a feature where you’ll see an entire thread minus that person’s stuff. I read about it a while ago and I believe the creators of Discourse thought that would make for disjointed conversations and decided against it.

(Mimi) #7

Thank you! I think I’ve read the required number of posts, but I certainly haven’t entered 5 topics!

(Mimi) #8

In my profile it says I “earned Basic” so am I eligible to now create my own accountability thread?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #9

@David_Stilley Check this out for more information

Or this:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #10

I think you are. Are the other accountability threads still showing locked to you or can you access them?

(Mimi) #11

Hmmm…I’ll go check! Thank you!

(Mimi) #12

Thank you@Ely!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #13

When it’s open to you (and I see a lock as well but I can click on it and open the page) click on new topic and that new thread will be your accountability thread. Title it how you want and come back to it as often as you want to.

(Mimi) #14

@PetaMarie, thank you! I don’t have locks on other accountability threads, so I’ll just assume I can get started on my own. Thanks so much for your help.

For clarification, what I post on my thread is visible to the entire internet? Just the people on this forum?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #15

The entire internet if they choose to become a basic member. Just assume the entire internet to be safe, but technically members of this forum who have Basic Trust level and beyond.

Good luck and welcome, again!

(Mimi) #16

Got it! Thanks again for your help.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #17

My understanding is that locked areas won’t show up in a google search. But as PetaMarie said, anyone can become a basic member pretty quickly, so best just consider it to be public.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

The locked forums and sub-forums are protected from random Internet searches, and especially from Web crawlers, but they are not by any means private. If you can see a forum or sub-forum, you have access to it, is my understanding. Any thread posted in the Accountability sub-forum should be protected, but anything posted anywhere else under Progress is not protected.

Your private messages are private to those involved in the thread, but any forum member can be invited in, so you might wish to be careful even there.

As for muting users, I see that @PetaMarie has already posted the link to Discourse. This is not an aspect of the software over which even forum owners have any control. You can mute them in the sense that notifications involving them will not show up for you, but you will still see their posts in any thread you are reading.

(Mimi) #19

Ok. I’ll keep all this in mind. Can they see my profile?

I’m not in the witness protection program or anything like that, I just am curious as to how it all works, how private it is, etc. before I start.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #20

Yes, members can see whatever you write in your profile and the photos you choose to share there and in any thread.