PURE Study

(Julia Wilson) #1

Following the last two episodes of 2 Keto Dudes with Zoe Harcombe (genius lady btw), I decided to do an in-depth read into the PURE Study which I believe she reviewed on her blog. I was encouraged until reading this line on page 2059:

“However, the absence of association between low carbohydrate intake (eg, <50% of energy) and health outcomes does not provide support for very low carbohydrate diets. Importantly, a certain amount of carbohydrate is necessary to meet short-term energy demands during physical activity and so moderate intakes (eg, 50–55% of energy) are likely to be more appropriate than either very high or very low carbohydrate intakes.”

To say I was disappointed is an understatement, as the article and study were reaching a useful conclusion that saturated fat does has an inverse correlation with cardiovascular disease. The study does not perform a review of persons practicing a low-carbohydrate diet; the lowest percentage of carbohydrate intake was 46%. The above quote indicates that the body is not capable of generating glucose for glucose-dependent processes, which means the scientists are unfamiliar with gluconeogenesis.

Anyway, just felt like venting. I’m curious if anyone else has read the study and felt similarly. Cheers!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Page 2059???!!! My hat’s off to you, sister! I can’t read that far into a study without my eyes glazing over.

That they fail to draw the correct conclusions is hardly unexpected. Gary Taubes has written about studies that present their data and then draw a conclusion exactly the opposite of what the data show, such is the strength of nutritional orthodoxy. Harcombe made the point in a lecture about the Tim Noakes trial that even in the data from the seven countries Keys cherry-picked out of the 22 for which he had data, the correlation between sugar consumption and heart disease was far stronger than the correlation between saturated fat and heart disease. Nevertheless, Keys dismissed it as irrelevant.

But you should know by now that our way of eating is unsustainable and is going to kill us! :smile:

(Edward A) #3

I am 11 days into a water only fast and I wanted to find a List of all the Daily Minerals and Vitamins I should take with regards to Water Fasting. Either in my water or by Pill.

Can you suggest a site/list.
Edward