Pure protein bars / sugar alcool

(S Hardy) #1

In order to fix a protein deficit on some days, I had devised a quick shortcut by dividing a High Protein Bar (by Pure Protein) in four parts (16 carbs in a whole one) and adding a teaspoon of butter on each portion. This would give me nice macro numbers (4-13-5) for as long as I don’t go over my daily 25 carbs and 95 proteins limits.

That’s for the theory. In fact, I have found myself in deep sugar craving after all three times I had those snacks. Plus this feeling of deep muscular fatigue, not unlike the first day or two when I got into ketosis.

My ketones did not go under 1.5 mmol/l though, so I did not leave ketosis.

Anyone else had similar experience? There are some sugar substitutes but then even if there was real white sugars, I would think keeping the numbers right should not be an issue am I right?

The protein is whey protein. Search whey on this forum and you will find reasons why it is an obesogenic ingredient. The other ingredients in the bars would make my intestines explode.

(S Hardy) #3

Can you develop for me a bit please? You’re saying whey protein is more damaging than the sugars?

(The macros shown on your picture differ from the ones I have in my possession. But the ingredients are quite similar, including whey protein)

(Todd Allen) #4

If the nutrition label Fiorella posted is correct a full bar has 30 g carbs, not 16 g and only 2 g are fiber so 28 g net carbs. If you only eat 1/4 that is 7 net carbs, not a catastrophe but still quite a bit for a small snack and I suspect it is mostly high glycemic/insulinogenic carbs on top of the insulinogenic proteins.

If you want a protein snack I can think of many more keto friendly options: a hard boiled egg, sardines or other canned or dried fish, cheese, nuts and seeds, home made jerky, pork rinds, …

Finally unless you are engaging in demanding physical activity the minimum daily protein requirement is quite low and there is a fair amount of evidence that it is healthy to under eat protein at least once in a while. Many of the benefits of fasting are triggered by the shortfall of protein which stimulates recycling.

As I suggested above, you can view the posts in this forum by using the search feature. On the top right corner, there is a little magnifying glass symbol. Type “whey” and you will see a listing of posts talking about whey protein. I strongly suggest you read through them. Very informative.

Whey protein has a relatively higher “insulinogenic” response, with respect to other proteins. This is why ricotta is not recommended to eat on a keto regimen…better to eat other cheeses made from whole milk or cream and not from whey like ricotta.

People are also advised not to consume shakes, powders, bars…supplements…from whey protein. Here is an excellent post from @richard, where he tested the effects of whey protein

(S Hardy) #6

Interesting. I had not realized proteins had different insulogenic responses.

Yeah, a big shocker for me too when I found out.