Public Health England you should be very ashamed

('Jackie P') #1

I read this in my Mum’s Daily Mail and I really did want to cry!

('Jackie P') #2

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20200827/282067689316985
I suppose we should be thankful that only 1 in 1,000 follow such outdated garbage!
Public Health England you should be very ashamed!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Was this the weekday Daily Mail or the Mail on Sunday? The weekday paper has been running articles about Dr. Unwin, but the Sunday paper has been campaigning against him.

Oh my, they still are at it? 5 fruits and vegetables never made any sense, who came up with that nonsense? It’s not even an amount… And many of us would be obese in little time eating 5 times a day, yes, including fruits and vegetables that just make us super hungry.

Well it was quite horrible. I am a positive one so I appreciate 6 and 7, I actually follow those now :smiley: (I don’t say I don’t drink more, of course but if they aren’t completely insane, they don’t think everyone should stop at 8 glasses, whatever amount that is.) And I go against the first 5 and the 8, I don’t even need to try.

sigh

At least choose things that is good for the majority of people… Or is it the most healthy thing the average person is willing to do? I seriously doubt it, fatty low-carb things are often quite awesome, according to many people’s taste…

I never cried because of such things, I screamed inside :slight_smile:
I couldn’t read the full article, I tried and I have some vague idea about it but it’s just horrible.
What if someone doesn’t follow this? They may follow a zillion times better woe - and they may live on sugary cakes, who knows. They don’t even care? We say this so only this is good?

I had very different diets in my life. I always went quite seriously against the first 5 and 8 (I usually ate no meat, no red, no fish so 5 never happened longer term), I can’t help 9 suited me most of the time, I did it wrong on high-carb though. I always drank enough water and I always ate much chocolate and sweets until my carnivore trials but what is little and what if my chocolates and cakes never had added sugar after low-carb? Simplifying things is often wrong but it’s way worse that according to these rules, low-carb is evil and unhealthy (because who cares what we eat, fatty red meat and cream or birthday cakes, it’s not what the rules say). Yeah, sure, that’s why I get carb poisoning and enervation on high-carb (and complaints from my own body who tasted low-carb) without being insulin resistant…

Why I can’t just walk away when I read such things I wonder…

[…]
I still don’t get the 2. No matter how fat-phobic carb-glorifying people they are… How does one base a meal on starches and why? Don’t we need to base it on some good protein and use the carbs as side dish if we want to be “normal”? Even when I was a vegetarian, I didn’t base my meals on starches… Those are so sad mostly alone. Or they think we use a lot of them for calories (as fat is the enemy and protein isn’t a good option either) and the more valuable things will find their way to our plate? But they don’t seem to think protein is important, they only talk about a bit of a fish… It’s all about no saturated fat and hail carbs (except sugar. except if it’s fruits because then it’s the best thing ever and we must eat it often).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Conservative, but not too far off with

32%20AM

Although in the context of the rest, this won’t do you much good…

(Jane) #6

I remember a recommendation of once a WEEk for red meat from some of these organizations and this stated it a daily limit… HOWEVER - they added “processed” to the red meat so a nod to the processed food industry makes it ok to be daily.
:roll_eyes:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

@Janie I like it! A couple thick slices of Polska Kielbasa and a couple 1cm cubes of Angus beef. Followed by 6-8 glasses of ‘sugar-free’ drinks - that would be beer, of course? This is Britain, so Old Speckled Hen. :beer::beer::beer::beer:

I would love to see a keto food guide and see how many people follow it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

@anon81060937

Official Keto Food Guide Rules

1. Sub-20 grams net carbs per day.

My observation of forum folks is that compliance seems excellent.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Except, of course, for the fact that the keto diet is impossible to comply with over the long term, and that it will kill us. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

#NOTDEADYET #BACONISLIFEBACONISLOVE

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

Oh right! Remind me to check back in a few years if I’m still alive and coherent.

There are surely several ones… I am just as good with keto guidelines than the above thing… We people are just too different and it’s fine. We should follow our own rules.

Even during my dinner (quite in opposition with the rules, of course), I couldn’t forgot about this thread…
Why they didn’t say something against cholesterol? The items were covered with the anti (saturated) fat rule? I am sure we could find some more outdated beliefs to use…
So I miss the “2 egg yolks per week or less” rule :smiley: (No, I actually don’t. I still face it on forums, normal people still didn’t get the memo about the truth.) After I tried to imagine 70g red meat on my plate and my reaction to it…

(Bob M) #13

Almost 7 years here…

('Jackie P') #14

On the other hand, they published this in Monday’s Daily Mail.
What I have a problem with, is that this is Public Health England who are "responsible " for the health of the Nation!
@PaulL both articles in the Daily Mail!

We need something catchy with visuals to pass around but it should also include other factors such as proper cooking techniques.

(Bunny) #16

Personally I don’t think 20 grams a day is sustainable for a non-diabetic I vary between 100-150 carbs and still show trace ketones but who needs ketone meters anyway.

20 grams of carbs is usually only three days (original Banter/Atkin’s orthodoxy; or no carbs) to initialize ketosis and drain liver glycogen storage and then up the carbs to 30, 50, 60 and more.

I’m grateful not to be diabetic, I needs my carbs (unlimited veggies, fruit, polyphenols, vitamin C)…lol

(Jane) #17

Glad your plan works for you… but obviously would not work for many here. You remind me of my husband who can eat 100 carbs + and stay thin and fast with me. I cannot. I must be more strict and I am ok with that since I don’t hate the image in the mirror anymore and never worry about missing a meal or being too hungry.

YMMV

(Bunny) #18

He has a nice metabolism, I remember another post on the forum a long time ago where this women was doing keto and her husband was not, he was one of these thin as a rail peeps who ate massive amounts of food and junk continuously, not sure if this was a good thing or bad thing but she jokingly tested his ketones and he was in ketosis. That really shocked me. She, herself was having trouble getting into ketosis and her ketones were 0.0 even though she was eating the keto diet.

Little nuances like that are really interesting, either he was in diabetic ketoacidosis or he was just straight up healthy?

What is so remarkable to me about it, is that some of population may be in healthy ketosis and not even know it and those are the kind of people I would like to get data on.

How are his growth hormone levels? Has he tried keto?

I find that those of us who can eat lots of carbs and not gain weight is because we absorb the carbs and not much fat unless we eat a ketogenic diet.

(Jane) #20

I don’t know since his PCP doesn’t measure that. All I know is pre-keto I had to give him testosterone shots prior to keto and now his blood levels are normal.