Psoriasis

(Edith) #1

Hi Everyone,

I have been following the ketogenic diet for almost two months now and I am very happy with my weight loss results and how I feel.

I was telling my brother about this WOE because he has psoriatic arthritis and his psoriasis is very bad. I was wondering if there is anyone on here who has or had psoriasis and has had positive results with their psoriasis improving from changing to a ketogenic diet?

Cheers,
Edith

Following

(Jason Thomas) #3

Good morning! I’ve practiced this WOE for 10 months now. I consider it a lifestyle at this point. My main reason for beginning was to reduce inflammation in regards to my psoriatic arthritis. Sadly, very little amelioration, BUT I have lost 30 pounds (from 190-160). Also, I progressed to fasting AND THAT (longest fast 101 hours) seemed to be very beneficial. However, it’s not a panacea. That being said, I’ve read several testimonies with better results. That’s how I ended up here. Good luck to you and your brother. Hoping to hear from some here with better results. Kind regards,

Jason Thomas

(Edith) #4

Thanks for your honest response. My brother stopped eating dairy about three months ago and that has helped, but not as much as he would have liked, of course. He is very excited about trying this WOE, though, so like you, he may see other positive effects.

Regards,
Edith

(Clare) #5

Hi Edith,

not keto per se but a gluten free diet sorted me out. I first developed psoriasis on the palms of my hands after doing the Atkins diet about 12 years ago. I lost weight and felt great then went back to my old ways and was struck with terrible psoriasis. Based on a bit of googling, I tried eliminating wheat and it improved. I cut out gluten altogether and it all but disappeared.
I’ve never gone back to gluten and it’s never come back.

I’ve often wondered if I was always sensitive to gluten and my body had a kind of tantrum to get me back off it. Obviously, when I was following Atkins I had eliminated it by accident.

Anyway, that’s my N=1 for you on the subject.

(Pamela galli) #6

I have a mild case, I see a very moderate improvement on keto.

(Ben) #7

Doc Nally discussed this on KetoTalk 56. TL:DR Not a cure, but his patients see improvements

You can find the podcast here, and Psoriatic Arthritis is discussed at 19:10

(Edith) #8

Hi again everyone,

Thanks for your responses. I have passed the info on to my brother, who, I believe, started the ketogenic diet the day I mentioned it to him. I think bacon and eggs was the lure. Health probably was secondary.

Edith

(Javad Ahmadi) #9

I have psoriasis about 10 years,I started keto diet one month ago,I have lost about 4 kg ,my psoriasis was better,but after 2 weeks it was worseŘŚi do"not know which food is good and which is bad in keto diet?tnx

(Edith) #10

Keto can be very heavy on dairy. My brother who has terrible psoriasis, discovered that dairy makes it unbearably itchy. When he gave up dairy, it helped his itching, and his back trouble went away.

(Javad Ahmadi) #11

I eliminate all of dairy in my food ,except butter,
Do you have any idea about it,?is there any plan for keto diet specially for PSORIASIS?

(Edith) #12

I wish I could help. I have not been diagnosed with psoriasis or psoriatic arthritis, although I do think I would have it if I ate dairy. Dairy gives me terrible itching, a rash on my scalp and back, and terrible joint pain. I can’t even have butter.

There are other people on this forum with psoriasis who may be able to weigh in.

I am currently reading, “The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body” by Sarah Ballantine, PhD. I am still in the beginning pages about how the immune system works so I can’t comment on it. I started reading it because a few people on this forum mentioned using the paleo autoimmune protocol (AIP) and that it really did help their autoimmune diseases.

I wish I could have more information for you. My brother who I mentioned earlier in the thread. Does not eat a keto diet, so I don’t know if that would help him or not. I wish he would give it a serious try. He avoids all dairy like the plague.

I did buy him a book several months ago about healing psoriasis naturally. Once I look up the name I will add it to this post. He has found it quite interesting. Has he implemented any of the book’s suggestions? I have no idea. :woman_shrugging:

Added photo: