Protein, when. how much and does it matter? N=1 observations

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

I think I’ll let Prof. Ben Bikman explain himself directly:

(Michael) #42

Insulin regulates ketogenesis more profoundly than glucagon and glucagon affects gluconeogenesis more than insulin. In a deep ketogenic state, our body still uses glucose such that those actions NEED to run simultaneously. We must be running both at once if we are not using a lot of carbs. With carbs around, we can get by without ketones. If you keep this in mind, it makes more sense when delineating between fuel sources.

So then it’s not true that carnivores aren’t in ketosis, they are in ketosis all the time or almost, just like normal ketoers? As normal ketoers may drink booze and then they don’t make ketones either and it’s short term.

Do I get it right?

What I have read too often looked like people think carnivores simply aren’t in ketosis and I never understood that (or cared for it, actually but it was strange to think about it and I didn’t like those moments). but they are about the same. Especially if they aren’t like me and don’t eat a ton of protein in one sitting :slight_smile: But even I rarely go over 150g in one sitting and I got fat adapted with 40g net carbs a day so I probably am almost always in ketosis then on carnivore(-ish)…

I don’t care about deep ketosis as many long term ketoers don’t have that anyway and ketosis is ketosis to me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #44

Well, it’s true that carnivores often do not show much circulating β-hydroxybutyrate, so people assume they are not making ketones. However, they are metabolising fatty acids for a lot of their energy needs, so by the time they are adapted to carnivore, the need for ketones is less than it is for someone early on in a ketogenic diet. It’s the same with people who’ve been on a ketogenic diet for a while and who find that their serum β-hydroxybutyrate isn’t as high as it used to be.