Protein v hunger help

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

What kind of fat are you eating? If you are talking about vegetable oil, that stuff is high in polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are nauseating in quantity. Stick to the healthier saturated and monounsaturated fats, such as are found in butter/ghee, tallow, lard, bacon (or goose or duck) grease, etc. If you cook with them and use the fruit oils (avocado, coconut, and olive—which are much lower in PUFA’s than the seed oils), for your salad dressing, you will feel a lot better. Be sure to make your gravies and sauces with butter and heavy cream, as well.

While fat is quite satisfying to most people, some people need a little more protein and a little less fat to assuage their hunger. You may have to experiment a bit to find what proportion works best for you. You could probably increase your protein a small amount without risking getting kicked out of ketosis. There are various ways to calculate how much protein to eat. What we recommend on these forums is 1.0-1.5 grams protein per kilogram of lean body mass per day, but that involves knowing or guessing your body composition. Or instead of using lean mass, you could use your ideal weight as a rough guide. Alternatively, you could go on the Virta Health Web site and search on “how much protein?” which will take you to a table showing recommended protein intake according to your height.

Remember that meats are generally 7 grams of protein per ounce (or 25 g/100 g). If you have excess fat to lose, be sure to eat enough calories, because otherwise the body will hang on to its reserves, so it can get you safely through the famine.

(Prancing Pony) #22

Thank you! Definitely no vegetable oil for me, I read an experiment where they effected blood flow to the heart worse than smoking a cigarette! :scream:
I think you are right and more experimentation is needed. Thanks for the reply.

(mole person) #23

I am starting to conclude that fat is at its most satiating only when paired with significant proteins.

I am like you. I need a high fat/moderate protein diet or the ketogenic diet falls apart for me. My hunger control is poor, I don’t feel as healthy, happy or energetic, and I have poor weight control. I even am more fatigued and suffer brain fog. I just don’t feel much different on high protein then I do on a more moderate carbohydrate diet (such as 80-100 grams a day).

But I experimented with several ways of getting my fats and they are simply not equivalent. Just like not all carbohydrates are equally insulinogenic, not all fats are equally satiating.

A big salad covered in loads of olive oil and cheese will not satiate me like a fat cut of meat. Same with a bulletproof coffee. And certainly fat bombs do not satiate me much at all, I usually just want more.

The reason for this is that there are several powerful ways that the body triggers sensations of satiation. One is via stretch receptors which makes us feel full. Meat is excellent for this because it has such slow digestion. But fat is king when it comes to the hormonal regulation of hunger. Leptin, our primary satiety signaling hormone, is triggered by our fat cells when they sense an abundance of fats.

So, for maximum satiation you need the eat things that are fatty and also that leave you feeling full longer. Basically, nothing except meat gives you all of that.

Ted Naiman offers similar advice. He recommends to his patients that need to lose weight that they avoid all of the added fats (all oils, butter, lard, tallow) and get their fat only from the fats on their meats.

I don’t know that I’d go that far in my own recommendation (although this is actually what I do). But I do believe that optimal weight control comes from meals that are very low carbohydrate, high fat combinations with significant meat protein to activate those stretch receptors and satiety hormones maximally for the longest duration.

Is this a thing?
(Prancing Pony) #24

That’s so true! That is exactly why I was feeling dissatisfied, my stomach felt empty. Hmm stuff to think about. Thank you

I’ve been finding Chaffles to be very filling.

(Prancing Pony) #26

I had to Google that :joy: mmmm! I did recently try keto garlic bread and my goodness why would you eat normal garlic bread!