Protein Sources Breakdown/Absorption?

protein

(Katie) #1

I am not sure of the proper terminology, but I once found a chart in this forum that listed various protein sources and how well they are easily broken down and absorbed by the body. I remember eggs being the easiest, whereas other sources require more digestive energy so we get less energy from the food source. Does anyone know what I am talking about and/or where the chart is? I do not even know the proper terminology to search for it, ha.

(Karen) #2

Yes I remember posting that. I’ll see if I can find it through Google again. Remember beef was very hard to digest in that oysters and eggs were one of the easiest working down through fish and chicken and pork was surprisingly easy to digest.

(Karen) #3

Table Of Comparative Digestibility

(Commencing with the Most Digestible, and ending with the Least Digestible of Meats and Other Common Animal Foods’)

Oysters.

Soft-cooked eggs. Sweetbread.

White fish, boiled or broiled, such as bluefish, shad, red snapper, weakfish, smelt. Chicken, boiled or broiled. Lean roast beef or beefsteak. Eggs, scrambled, omelette. Mutton, roasted or boiled. Squab, partridge. Bacon (crisp).

Roast fowl, chicken, capon, turkey. Tripe, brains, liver.

Roast lamb.

Chops, mutton or lamb.

Corned beef.

Veal.

Ham.

Duck, snipe, venison, rabbit, and other game.

Salmon, mackerel, herring.

Roast goose.

Lobsters and crabs.

Pork.

Smoked, dried, or pickled fish and meats in general.

The table given below is published by E. Jessen as the result of giving test meals of single articles of food. The stomach was first cleansed and emptied by siphonage, then a hundred grains of meat were introduced with eight ounces of water. Samples of the digested stomach contents were from time to time withdrawn, and the complete disappearance of all muscular fibre when examined by the microscope occurred as follows:

Beef, raw, chopped fine… 2 hours.

Beef, half cooked… 2½ "

Beef, well cooked… 3 "

Beef, thoroughly roasted… 4 "

Mutton, raw… 2 "

Veal, cooked… 2½ "

Pork, cooked… 3 "

I found this interesting as I am sometimes uncomfortable with beef

(mole person) #4

Very interesting!

(Katie) #5

Thank you, this is interesting!

It is not the chart that I had in mind, though. :-/

(Karen) #6

Sorry hope you can find the one you need thanks

(Katie) #7

It led me to find this, check out page 20!

https://books.google.com/books?id=gpwRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA95&lpg=PA95&dq=Commencing+with+the+Most+Digestible,+and+ending+with+the+Least+Digestible+of+Meats+and+Other+Common+Animal+Foods&source=bl&ots=e4PLAvGU9p&sig=f0ZD2phKim9X4oPPoQtK6lxzj2E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUrr3eodXfAhUJJt8KHe30CLYQ6AEwCnoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=gelatin&f=false

(Karen) #8

Fantastic!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Maybe cook the beef less?