Protein per meal

Hello all,

Is there a set amount of protein that you should have per meal so that if doesn’t affect your glucose with too much? And is it true that most all women only need 60g of protein per day? Seems not enough :frowning:

(Allie) #2

Everyone is different and has different needs but yes, we do need a lot less protein than is generally believed. If you’re very active with sports / weights then it’s likely you’ll need more.

(Rob) #3

Many men don’t need more either. Remember, 60g of protein isn’t too much lean meat but it is quite a lot of fatty meat or other sources.

For example, it’s
:bacon: 17 thick cut slices of streaky/belly bacon (27 oz) but only
:poultry_leg: 8oz of skinless chicken breast or
:meat_on_bone: 7oz of lean brisket, but
:cut_of_meat: 10-12oz of ribeye steak (more for a very fatty one… mmmm).
:sushi: 8oz of salmon or
:fish: 12oz of cod or
:cheese: 8.5oz of cheddar or
:peanuts: 8oz of peanuts

Or
:egg: 10 eggs!!!

Of course, these can all have wildly different calorific values based on their fat/water content.

I can tell you in my case definitely yes.

I am T2D. (I follow the definition of T2D being “too much background/fasting insulin, overreactive insulin, post-prandial insulin high for too long”.) I use my BG meter as an insulin-checker through what’s happening to my BG after meals as well as first thing in the morning. There’s very good scientific info on how to do this on @Marty_Kendall 's website. This is the best (and least expensive) way to test for yourself. For me, I find that if I go above, say, 25g of protein per meal then my BG spikes, sometimes really high. And if I get fewer than 15g per meal I get hungry between meals unless I have a large amount of fat with that meal. For the whole day, if I get more than about 52-55g total then my BS stays too high, and if I get less than 45g total then my hair starts to fall out. Not a good look for me, lol!

Your needs will definitely be different depending on your own circumstances. This is all very individual and also varies based on what you’re eating. @Capnbob Rob’s list that he just posted is an EXCELLENT guide.

So you will need to test, test, test, and retest to find where your own limits/ranges lie.

You can do this. Be sure to ask questions as you need to. Good luck!

(Karen) #5

I recently got my plateau broken, by by dropping the protein a bit. Start at 20% and experiment.

K

(Troy) #6

Yes. I have also been experiencing w protein intake over the last week and a half

A) I have been keeping the exercise around the same
B) protein sources around the same
C) eating times and windows, some variations

My result:

I get :zzz: sleepy night, night on the higher end of protein. :grimacing:
Bogged down. Junky feeling
Groggy

I fare WAY better w “ less “ protein now
Just means more fat to eat …yummy!!:smile:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

It was recommended to me that I am for about 70g of protein, but spread over two meals. I am going to do some n=1 experiments to see how two meals, with about 35g protein work for me, as opposed to one meal with 55-65g of protein.