Protein and insulin response

(Bart) #1

Dr. Nally aka Doc Muscles from the Keto Talk with Jimmy Moore and Dr. Nally posted this on his blog regarding insulin response from protein. Kinda bummed me out because I love so many of the ones listed. Crab is #3 :sob:

Interesting readā€¦

Guess this calls for some n=1 experiments.

(Jacquie) #2

Yes, experiment! The dose makes the poison. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be having sea lion liver in the foreseeable future. :grinning: I was pre-diabetic and as long as I was careful with the amount of protein, I didnā€™t have a problem. If I had a bit too much protein, Iā€™d try to have more fat with it to counter it and that worked.

Cool, Lobster isnā€™t on the list.

I know itā€™s pretty lean meat, but bacon wrapped with butter, and yeaā€¦

Darn! No more sea loin liver for me. :wink:

(Guardian of the bacon) #5

Makes me curious how much pork varies from one cut to another?

(Bart) #6

He only lists the pork loin, so the other cuts must be less then everything else on the list. I will just stick with the ones with the most fat. :sunglasses:

(Samuel Ashford) #7

Yeah, I heard the podcast. Those rascally sea lion livers.

On a similar note, I found this today and thought Iā€™d share it. Itā€™s an interactive chart on a site called ā€œtableauā€ plotting insulin index of many foods. Pretty cool, though I didnā€™t look very far into the data behind it.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/publish/foodinsulinindexanalysis/insulinloadvsFII#!/publish-confirm

(matt ) #8

LoIn is super lean. You have to add fat.

(Guardian of the bacon) #9

I wonder if lean lb vs lean lb if there is much if any difference amongst the cuts of pork?

(Scott Shillady) #10

Great Info I love crab, I wonder if the different varieties might vary in the arganine and lysine content. I have been known to gorge myself on snow crab legs at all you can eat buffetā€™s, its currently stone crab season here in FL, and I usally indulge in those for the supper bowl. I think i need to find a more detailed list.[quote=ā€œkairos, post:7, topic:6003ā€]
Itā€™s an interactive chart on a site called ā€œtableauā€
[/quote]

interesting on this chart peanuts have a very low glycemic load. Looks like there might be some conflicting data (or interpretations of data)

Look on the bright side, bacon and eggs werenā€™t on the list! :smile: :bacon: :egg:

Well, that explains why killers whales have so much insulin: to store more fat!

(Jason Fletcher) #13

I often wonder how the insulin response differs from protein to carbs? Not only the amount of insulin secreted per gram of protein vs carb but also the duration of time that insulin is kept elevated. When you workout you will increase insulin that is driven by a increase of blood sugar driven by adrenaline. This will drop ketones as well but only for a short time after finishing working out. I read a lot about how people state that they were eating to much protein and this caused there weight loss to stop. I would really like to know how 50 grams of protein could be the factor that raises insulin so much for so long that it would stop weight loss. With this understanding the kind of protein you would consume would also be a factor and not just the number of grams.

Dr. Stephen Phinney and others say that to consider the impact of carbs and protein in relation to insulin, take the carbs in grams and 1/2 the protein in grams, so this means that protein has 1/2 the impact of carbs.

What they donā€™t say and where I think there might be some flexibility in this is whether or not the protein grams should only be from those above whatā€™s needed for maintaining lean body mass (LBM) since whatever is below that isnā€™t likely to be burned for energy or stored as fat.

Since Dr. Phinney doesnā€™t mention considering protein in excess, itā€™s probably just the level of amino acids in the blood from the proteins regardless of whether or not they are burned, stored, or used for LBM, so thatā€™s what I use to determine the impact of protein.