Protein and calories help

(Scott) #1

I have been back on for 5 weeks first 2 weeks lost 16 lbs. I have only lost 6 the last 3 weeks , still good but a little disappointing . I have been looking at my food calculator . My proteins according to the calculator said 105g of protein and am usually right at that ( different things I read say if you go over then not good other people say new data says not big deal . Fat says 140g but am usually at about 110 and calories 1930 and the last 8!days I am about 1400 calories but not hungry . I am 55 6ft 3 inches and 266. Look for some ideas to kick start . I do fast from aboutn7orn8pm to lunch next day.

If an average of 2lbs week loss are disappointing to you, you need to rethink your expectations. I’d personally say protein is way to low and for me, as long as I get in 100g fat I’m happy with that. Fasting made it near impossible for me to loose weight, other people have the total opposite experience. Just take measurements and make sure it’s only fat you’re loosing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

If you weigh 266 lbs. (120.9 kg) and 30% of that weight is fat, then 105 g of protein is well within the appropriate range for that lean mass (84-126 g). As long as you are eating enough fat to satisfy your hunger, you should be fine. Be aware that fat loss is never a linear process, though the overall trend should be in the desired direction. Moreover, it slows as our body reaches a healthy composition. Don’t even worry about stalling until your weight has been stable for over a month.

(Scott) #4

Thanks, I know 2lbs a week is good but I was expecting more for weeks 3-5. After a couple months it’s good was just expecting 3-5forvthis point

You lose fat very quickly. No one has any reason to be displeased with this speed. Fat is very calorie dense, it’s not logical to lose more unless you eat nothing or have very high activity (but then I would worry about starvation with its problems).

You eat very little from my viewpoint but you have fat to get energy from - therefore, this quick fat-loss is reality. Be glad. You aren’t even hungry, probably feels okay as you didn’t complain… Good, keep at it, good luck!

When you are slimmer and hungrier (if it happens), eat more :slight_smile: Or if it helps without eating more, eat more protein, 105 may be just enough for you but more wouldn’t be a problem, probably. One can never know, some people can’t handle even a bit high protein but people often eat way more protein than you even if they are short women with little muscles and not much activity. It’s unnecessary for them but doesn’t cause problems and I for one can’t figure out how to eat only adequate protein, it’s typically high since many years, at least, no matter how much fat I eat. I tried to eat less protein when I started keto (I totally failed), the myth that high protein is a problem was too prevalent everywhere I went but it’s debunked now. So don’t worry about that.

(Scott) #6

Thank you . I don’t want to go much over but some days 120-130 for protein is a nice treat

(Scott) #7

What do mist people use as a guideline .6-.8 of gram per pound of lean body weight or 1.2-1.7 gram per kilogram

1-2g/kg (for lean bodyweight) if you ask me, it depends. It’s safer to use 1.5-2 and as far as I know, 2 won’t be used up (at least not on keto, we may need a bit much on keto especially if we eat close to 0 carbs… our glucose must come from somewhere), it’s just for being safe. One can never know, maybe even our digestion isn’t perfect at all… Whatever, many people consider this adequate, including me.

I personally try to stay below 2. I fail on most days (my protein need is smallish) and go over 3 on some days. My body is fine with it so I don’t worry a thing.

(Scott) #9

Ok I was confused when I was reading . I thought it was 1.2-1.7 gram per kilogram of present weight or .6/.8 grams per pound of lean body weight . . Thanks for clarifying

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

The official recommendation of these forums is 1.0-1.5 g/kg LBM, for reasons @richard has stated in the past. Prof. Bikman advises up to 2.0 g/kg because he is concerned with maintaining muscle as we age. We supposedly have an instinct for getting the right amount of protein, so go with what works for you.

The point of eating protein is to make amino acids available for tissue-building and repair. Under normal circumstances amino acids are not metabolised (except for a small quantity used in gluconeogenesis). The body’s energy comes from glucose (if we eat carbohydrate) or fatty acids (if we eat a ketogenic diet).