Prolonged fasting 72 hours?

fasting

(Polly) #51

Awesome. Congratulations on completing your first 72 hour fast!

(mole person) #52

Most doctors really don’t know anything about fasting and some will likely be dead set against it. If you want to talk to a doctor about fasting you really need to talk to one who specializes in prescribing them, like Dr. Fung.

I’m pretty sure that he is ok with very overweight people doing regular 72hr fasts. But not longer, not without medical supervision. As for how frequently, as long as you are refeeding well you could probably do one a week.

There is a very knowledgeable lady here who works coaching people for his program. I’ll tag her into this thread and maybe she can help you with some resources. @Brenda.

@idunno - Congrats on a job well done! Absolutely geeked to hear you completed the fast! It really warmed my heart to read how your boss responded when you told him about your plans to attend the camp. He must care for you tremendously- as a person AND as an employee. I love that.

I gotta say, I am so excited to hear about your journey as it progresses. It sounds like you’re super - motivated, and on the right track. Hugs and hi-fives, my friend!!!

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #54

Thx you all for the wonderful support. It sure helped me a lot, and drove my motivation up. At the moment I don’t have a “significant other/better half” so none that really holds me accountable, posting here and sharing makes me feel I need to stick to what I promised so who can say internat community is not real life and is all make belive? I think its great, it even comes with a mute button, unlike real life :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I will let this fast sink a little before making any bold claims about the next fast, when the thoughts and feelings have matured a little I will decide when the next fast starts.

I am pretty sure the doctor will be open for fasting, as I’ve been in a bad shape for a while now and have not really been able to take action and stick to it before. No matter what I’ve tried. But we will know when I have taken time to go see her. I was gonna do it today but the day got lost for me, one task turned into another and soon her office was closed. Too bad I didn’t make time yesterday morning while still fasting, would have been interesting to see if that would have made any difference to the result.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #55

Ok so I decided to fast once more. This will be 48 hours because there is an BBQ on sunday and I just need to have some of the brisket.

I had a morning fatty coffee, coconut oil, mct and heavy cream, and two eggs and bacon with avocado and really big scoop of sour cream. That was around 8 am.

12 hours later I feel nothing. No hunger no cravings. All good. No plans tonight. But tomorrow I will take another walk. Think I just do what I did last sunday, same place and hopefully I don’t meet much people. I will try to start a little slower then I did last time, and hopefully I can walk a little longer then I did then.

On sunday I will do another walk, early in the morning so before I break fast. I’ll see if I am sore or tired from saturdays walk before I decide on the length. Then I think I do what I did last time and break the fast with eggs and avocado, and probably the fatty coffee too.

I’ll give an update at 24-30 ish hours or after my walk tomorrow.

(Jane) #56

You may prefer to chat on your own thread… but if you would like support from people also fasting there is a monthly thread for that. People jump on and off as they start and end their fasts.

The only “rule” is we are asked to blur any mention of food - like what you will break your fast with - as some people get hungry when there is mention of food.

(PJ) #57

Sounds like you’re doing really well! You know there’s an ‘accountability’ board where some people have ‘ongoing journals’ if you’re interested in making one of those.

I fast for 72 hours now and then. I don’t find it difficult, mostly because I do it from midday. So really it seems like only two days to me. I eat a 1MAD sized meal at say, 1pm on a Monday, and then skip Tuesday and Wednesday, and eat around 2pm on Thursday. Tada, 72 hours, and I slept about 24 of those. :smiley: And I don’t seem to have any problem with refeeding heavy foods or a lot of it. I was really nervous about that on my 2 week fast in April and weaned myself back to food very slowly and with a lot of broth, but with the 72h so far it’s been zero issue.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #58

Wow. I’m so impressed with your determination to do right by your body! Whether or not you do the 72hour fasts, just feeding yourself properly will give you good results.
I’ve only been on this forum a short time, and only started eating a keto diet three months ago. So I’m all over the forum; reading all the topics and looking up things I don’t understand. I recommend you do the same, as there’s a TON of useful information here. I keep learning more details, which is helping me gain a better idea of the details of this new ay of eating.
You are awesome!

(Zach) #59

It seems you are doing great. Just a few words of advice:

1. Fung’s #1 rule of fasting: if you feel bad, stop!
  2. Megan’s #1 rule: salt, salt, salt! Pinch of salt on the tongue a few times a day.
  3. Don’t walk if it hurts! Karl and many others lost 80 or more pounds WITHOUT exercise. People in a CICO mentality feel exercise is necessary for weight loss but it is simply not true. It is helpful for many other things but wait until you feel like you are bursting with energy and have to move before walking. Be patient. Overdoing it and getting injured or discouraged is common among newbies. Keto alone is great. Fasting alone is great. Both are amazing together. Exercise really won’t add much to the mix. Once you are fully fat adapted you will be able to walk forever but for now, work on reducing your insulin.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #60

Why? Especially with your joint pain? And exercise doesn’t work for losing weight. CICO can work temporarily, but it slows your metabolism and causes you to gain the weight back.

This is true.

Doesn’t sound crazy to me. I fast this long on a regular basis and more. And I teach others to do the same

Unfortunately no. You may have some effects after each fast but they’re not going to permanently reduce your inflammation. Eating a ketogenic diet consistently will and fasting more consistently than twice in 5 weeks will. In order to have the fasting actually affect your inflammation you would have to do some amount of fasting weekly. How much fasting you would need to do to affect inflammation depends on your own individual body.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #61

This is spot on. :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #62

@Ilana_Rose thank you

@idunno
All the best information from the top world renowned fasting experts you will find here:
Go to www.IDMprogram.com

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #63

Yeah now I read you post, after doing my walk - sweating like a pig, and totally fatigued by the end of the walk :sweat_smile: :smiley:

Salt, I didn’t take any last time, and haven’t this time either. Don’t know if I need it, I am generous with salt when I eat. But I’ll keep it on my mind if I get very hungry.

Yeah the walking part is mostly to ease my guilt from being so sedentary the past two decades. I also read that any exercise while fasting pays dividends. As I am doing a “last minute fix” before the fat camp starts next month . My aim is to ease as much of inflammation as possible before that. And possible get my body somewhat accustomed to be in motion and actually do some work. I’ve started very easy with the walks. Slow tempo and short distance.

I will make a mental note of your post.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #64

Because I am in so lousy shape I can’t walk across a parking lot without breathing and sweating like I run a damn marathon. I am at that age where my heart will stop any day soon if I don’t makes changes, or I will get a stroke, diabetes, or whatever else hell got in store for us fat people .This is the time to fight back and regain control of my eating, and be able to move around without pain and suffering.

That camp will consider my joint pains, so the exercise will be accordingly. Like swimming, spinning, etc.

I’ve completed one 72 hours fasting already. And now a week later I am doing a 48 hours fast. I think I will take your advice and try to do one fast a week until the end of the month. I need all the extra help I can get before the camp starts. So if that means once fasting, I will do once a week fast.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #65

Forgot to talk about my walk today. Temperatures where lower then last time. I drove to the same spot I walked last sunday. No people there today either. Great.

I started at a slower pace the I did last sunday, and kept it slow. I managed to walk for 27 minutes today before I was crushed. Today I brought a foldable “fat-man” camping chair and a large bottle of water and to motivate I even stuck a vapor stick in the back pack.

After 27 minutes my feet was almost shaking. Felt like jelly. T-shirt was soaked and hair was as wet as if I went swimming. I unfolded the chair, had a good wipe down and enjoyed the scenery while I gulped water. After a few minutes I was breathing like a normal person. So then I had a vape, (none nicotine) and rested for about half an hours just enjoying the nature and scenery.

When heading back I started even slower then I did from the parking lot and I used longer to return back then I did the way over. But this time I didn’t worry I wouldn’t make it back to the car. And I knew I had the camping chair if need be. But I managed back without any stops. But the return was very very slow.

The walking does not feel good by itself. I can honestly say I hate it. But the scenery was nice, the camping chair was a bonus and having a vape was also nice, even if its a long time since I quit smoking. A few hits now and then of the vape I will allow myself. It goes weeks and sometimes months between each time I use it. So pls no advice in regard to vaping.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #66

Didn’t read any of that fasting info link. If any site can’t give me what I came to look for without collecting data chances are they are not trying to share their findings, or become a hub for knowledge or give things away - most likely they are in fact gearing up for selling you shit you don’t even need, or collect enough data from you so that it holds a resell value.

Nah I stick to short bursts of fasting, 72 hours. And I trust this forum way more then a website that will let you read on only after dropping them some data.

Yeah - I am freak. I know. :smiley:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #67

39 hours in now. This Saturday turned out to be busy. After the walk I got home and had a shower then I got called to help a friend, and when done we was invited to a mutual friend for coffee and drinks. I passed on the drinks but it was a nice time, and I just got home now. Been so busy I haven’t had time to think about the fast at all, so no hunger, no cravings nothing negative at all. I can feel my body is a little tired now, probably from the walk, the social gathering and no down time, but that is ok. I will turn in now. 11 pm on a Saturday night. It’s ok. Because tomorrow after my plain black coffee I will go for another walk before I break fast.

I have no goals for my walk tomorrow other then I start out really slow, bring enough water and my wonderful camping chair. That way I can get more from it then the exercise. Chilling in the woods listening to nature and watch the birds, the ducks swimming on the lake and feel the breeze across the water is actually nicer then I thought it would be. Been years since I done anything like this.

This second fast has been easier then the first, at least so far. Don’t know if it is because I sort of know what to expect, or if I just have kept more busy this time so that I haven’t had the time to overthink things.

Will give a final update after I break fast tomorrow.

Turning in and calling it :sleeping:

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #68

Nice idea with the camping chair. Movement is good, and enjoying yourself is too. You have a nice place to walk, sounds like.
Pat on the back for ya. GG!

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #69

I made it to 48 hours. The fast itself was more or less OK. Woke up a couple of times during the night and felt hungry but fell back asleep so not really a big thing. Judging by the effort it took to make it to 48 hours vs 72 hours I am uncertain what caused this fast to be so much easier then the first.

Either 48 hours is easier just because it is one less day without food. Or it was because I new what to expect and new that hunger pain and feeling hungry is a thing that washes over you and feels very hard the moment it hits you but then vanishes almost just as fast and easy.

I’ve had my eggs, two strips of bacon, two small avocado’s - not ripe but still good. And a click of sour creme. Moral is high and it feels good to have made it trough.

Today it was windy outside. Temperatures like yesterday but with a really nice and strong wind. Less sweating during the walk thanks to the wind. Today my legs felt a little heavy even from the start so the pace was probably on par with the return walk yesterday. Almost painfully slow. I managed to walk to the same place I stopped yesterday. And used the camping chair again. Still about as tired as I was Saturday. And my breathing was about as heavy.

The return to the car was long today. I had to bring out the chair mid way back to the car. I paused for about ten minutes or so an managed to find the strength to keep walking. Came to the car more or less dry today. That wind was nice. But I was so tired. Out of breath and I could feel my legs where weak and almost a little shaky. Took me a good 5-10 minutes to collect myself before I drove home.

Walking. I struggle to see how people really enjoy it. IT does not make me feel good. I am not enjoying myself while walking. It feels like work, the boring kind fo work that brings no joy. And those “happy chemicals” well I’ant seen nothing yet.

I probably would have enjoyed the nature even more if I was on a sagwy or electric scooter and would have had more fun during and after without the walk. But at least the walking shaves off time during fast, and maybe I need a little “punishment” for not having taken care of myself for so many years?

How did I let myself go so drastically before I decided to change?

(Susan) #70

I can certainly relate to that question you put forth. I am in the same boat, thinking that. We are working towards success NOW though, so that is what really counts. Why are you torturing yourself with all this walking? Is it to get ready for the Fat Camp? Are they going to make you do rigourous exercises there?
How long is the Fat Camp? It is in September? Maybe the weather will be a bit cooler (hopefully) when you are at it. What country are you in? I noticed last night you were about 6 hours or so ahead of me time zone wise from a post you made, (when you said it was late and you were heading to bed and it was supper time for me) so are you in England?

I hate walking as well, I had to walk on Thursday to the bus stop and back again after (it is a 20 min or so walk each way) and my knees, legs, back are still killing me,( I am hobbling around here in a lot of pain) so I certainly hope that on the way to me losing the additional 120 or more pounds I need to lose that this changes (it must?) but for now, I just cannot walk. I really don’t know how you do it, but more power to you if it helps!

Congrats on getting to 48 hours, that is still great =). Keep on with your goals and victories =).