Progress since I started ~3 months ago

(Mike Glasbrener) #1

Admins: Please move to the appropriate category if it doesn’t belong here or feel free to delete if it’s wrong to share my positive progress.

I’m an engineer by training (and personality). I’m 6’4" or so. I’m also 55yrs old and raised 3 kids. 2 are still in HS. I was pre-diabetic in January and tore my right quad several times between Nov 7th last year and Jan 2nd thi year. Since the end of January I started managing my diet after a doc’s visit showing nothing else was wrong except torn quad and prediabetes which I think were correlated. I’ve been rehabbing it since and am at about 95%. However, I’m still being conservative about overload. My right knee will get arthroscopic surgery on June 20th. Also, from about 47yrs old to 51yrs old I was a moderately high level recreational athelete doing several 100mile rides and a 1/2 ironman.

I initially did low/zero complex carbs lowish fat and moderate protein. So a fair bit of raw veggies… A couple of online friends were in another keto group and I had read and am a fan of Taubes and Attia so I kind of soft rolled into keto. I think I was mostly eating keto by end of Feb. It’s when I started weighing myself. Prior to that I was afraid, very afraid that I would be a bit depressed I had let myself go so far. The transition to keto for me was relatively smooth. I don’t mind experimenting with food. There’s nothing I won’t try once, especially if it’s loaded with good fat. Also, I have a withings scale and can be a bit OCD about weighing myself, every morning first thing in my birthday suit. Doing this gives me additional information about what’s going on with my body. Sometimes the results seem random. However, either falsely or justifiably so I can assign some causes to weight changes.

Lastly, after becoming fat adapted, by looking at the scale ~4/15, the progress on the scale and with my diet really hasn’t been demanding. It’s kind of amazing to not feel hungry. I know at some point it will come back… But I can totally manage the amount consumed and the timing without ever being STARVING. I just focus on getting a decent amount of fat at every meal, minimizing incidental carbs and eating zero crap carbs. As I rolled in I used some things like pork rinds as a crutch for snacks. Now they’re really not needed. With all of that here’s my progress:

It’s also interesting because you can see I had post induction stall syndrome (PISS) for 3-5 weeks from beginning of March to the beginning of April. I kind of knew it would pass (friggin’ engineer). I just stuck with the program and finally broke through w/o any fasting. I also plotted a line showing indicating I’m steadily losing about 3.5lbs per week. When my weight starts to deviate from that line I know I’ll need to tweak what I’m doing to continue the loss. In my ideal world I get to <200lbs, a good cycling weight for me, and the lowest I’ll have been since high school.

I have one more long term goal… One more 1/2IM if my body will let me…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #2

If that torn quad gets fixed you will ace that 1/2 Ironman on keto!

(Mike Glasbrener) #3

My GP doctor said no more running. At 280lbs I agree but I said when I get my weight down. I last saw GP at ~280lbs April 4th. I’ll see him next in August. If all goes according to plan I should be ~230lbs by then with a resting heart rate in the low to mid 60s. It’s low 70s now, down from 90s in Jan. Last IM RHR was below 50. I hope hbA1C in the low 5s by then also. I’m expecting to shock him.:grinning: Ortho doc knows better than to set an upper bound… I’ll do what my body lets me do.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #4

Stay the course on keto and you will. I have zero doubt.

(Robin Weitzman) #5

I think I’m in love :grinning: I love the meticulousness

(Mike Glasbrener) #6

Going to daughter graduation and move her so diet this week will be tougher. I’ll bring some canned anchovies, oberto sausagaronis and nut’s for transitions. My weight has been more erratic lately. I’m OCB about when I weigh myself so it’s not that. A few days ago I popped up almost 2.5lbs! My diet the day before was similar but I had local chicken thighs and drum sticks the night before with blue cheese and a few sticks of celery. For some reason my body has had a few short term inflammation reaction to something. In general I seem a bit hungrier in the morning even after breakfast whether I spin or not. I’m in no way stressed about slower loss. I wholly expect the curve to start flattening at which point I’ll shake things up and integrate more fasting into my diet. I read Fung’s book on “Obesity Code” and will read his book on fasting next. Arthoscopic surgery on knee in 4 week and Hungary in ~7wks. So rougher waters ahead. But all in all I’m in a happier place so far. Oh, I’m almost 3 belt loops down.:slight_smile:

(Mike Glasbrener) #7

Again, admins feel free to move or delete if this isn’t a fit for this thread/board…

It’s been a few weeks… I’ll throw an update in… A this point I’m not a newbie I guess… Again, I’m dirty keto. I don’t detail my macros. However, I don’t eat any sugar. ALL my carbs are green veggie based. I don’t eat ANY artificial sweeteners. I probably exceedt my protein occasionally ( 2-3 days a week). I just started extended fasting after IF (skip breakfast) w/o problem. In between I did a couple of one day (36hr skip 2 nights and one day) fasts w/o any issue. Actually the two day fasts (60hr.) weren’t really a “problem” either. The first one when I ended it was a new experience. The second time was even easier because it was now a know road. I’ll likely try to go longer in the future. I think breaking cultural norms and family concerns will be much more difficult than the not eating part. I get a knee operation this Friday and will travel to Hunagry for a week or so in 3 weeks. That’ll throw a wrench into future tracking.

Anecdotally, while losing weight in April and May my hands/feet tended to be cold in the evening so I think my metabolism might have been slowing. That also was a motivator for EF/feast.

(Jim Russell) #8

That is awesome progress. Way to go!

I guess I am also “dirty keto”. For some people, tracking is what they need to do to keep themselves in check. For me, I will track my macros about once every 3 or 4 weeks. Doing it more often than that seems like work. And I tend to forget to do it after a day or so. When I do track, it is just to make sure I’m not letting things get out of hand. I sometimes have a problem with the slippery slope.

(Mike Glasbrener) #9

Thanks. I won’t eat anything new w/o knowing nutritional macros… By tracking every morning I get to see trends and tweek if I need to. Sometimes something falls out… Like I haven’t had chicken since my weight pop the next day after consuming chicken. Someone on the boards mentioned that @ OSU there’s a paper stating some people get a reaction to the amino acids in chicken… When I get to my ballarina weight I’ll experiment more…

(Jim Russell) #10

Yeah, absolutely. If I know the macros of all the stuff I eat, there’s little point in adding it all up every day. It helps that I tend to eat the same things in various combinations most of the time.

(Mike Glasbrener) #11

I figure I’ll update again… Weight loss isn’t a straight line and clearly I’m no longer a noob. But some might find the info helpful in realizing stalls don’t last forever. Recovery from bad dietary choices is possible. Fasting is harder when a carb burner than it is when fat adapted.

A couple of notes:

1. I’m a tad OCD and weigh myself every morning in my bday suit after peeing. :slight_smile:
  2. 1.5wks not keto was in Hungry on a kids water polo trip. I had arthroscopic knee surgery 2 weeks prior. The trip was an all inclusive kind of thing and control of what I ate was extremely difficult. I tried within reason but it was NOT keto or even close…
  3. I tried fasting after the trip. Because I lost some fat adaption it was much more difficult than before the trip.
  4. It took nearly a month to reacquire fat adaption.
  5. The first 60hr fast after the trip was annoying and I gained all of it back the following 5 days. So per Megan Ramos I “switched it up” and am now 36 fasting on Mondays and Fridays. It eat keto but not horribly restrictive the other days.
  6. My fantasy goal was 203 like 8years ago when I was in great shape eating nonketo and riding my bike a ton. My new fantasy goal is 190s and back to riding my bike a ton… I’m 6’5".:slight_smile: Peter Sagan don’t look over your shoulder.:slight_smile: