Problems with stomach acid/GERD

(Rob Grantham) #21

That is simply genius!

(Jeb Bower) #22

I used to get bad heartburn quite a bit as well…I was buying antacid in bulk at Sam’s.

My wife and I started doing keto which I think helped and, as others have suggested, I also started taking 2tbsp of ACV every day. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve had some heartburn in the last 6 months, and even then it wasn’t bad enough that I considered taking antacid for it.

When I looked into ACV, seems like 2tbsp was the consistent quantity. I throw it in a 24oz bottle of water with a couple squirts of flavoring.

Wow. I am interested to see what happens. I shall try this tomorrow

(Janelle) #24

Me too. Since I lose about a pound a week, I’m looking for anything at all that can speed up the weight-loss. I was doing some Googling and found this. I have been taking a daily antacid for at least two years and gaining weight. I’m not saying that was the biggest part of my problem, but it might be contributing to a slow loss now.

https://kellmancenter.com/2014/09/want-to-lose-weight-stop-taking-prilosec/

How long have you been keto?

(Janelle) #26

Me - almost 3 months. I know that’s not long but the GERD is not gone through diet alone so far.

I was addressing the OP actually but the reason I asked is that it is quite common to get a bout of reflux (especially if you are prone to it) when you change what you eat pretty radically.

@CatGirl Have you stopped the antacid? I assume from what you say that you have had reflux issues for a long time including pre keto. Do you abide by typical rules like allowing enough time between last meal and bedtime? Is the reflux an issue all day or just at night/when you lie down? FYI weight loss of a pound a week is perfect and doesn’t;t really need speeding up :slight_smile:

(Janelle) #28

In reality I know that about the 1lb a week. In practice, it drives me ape to hear people post crazy fast losses - jealousy, I guess.

As to the antacid, I’ve been not taking it or one day a week. By 4pm, the acid is unbearable. I typically stop eating around 6:30 and am asleep by 10:30. It’s definitely not a night time only phenomenon. I’ll see if ACV helps. Honestly, it never occurred to me that the relief I’m getting from an acid inhibitor is probably seriously messing with my gut and digestion.

You need to taper PPIs. I was put on them after my weight loss surgery and told I would have to take them for life. I read about the long-term side effects and thought [spoiler]Fuck that![/spoiler] so I talked to my GP about coming off them. He said that there was no reason not to try but I needed to taper, which I did. I get the odd bout of reflux but deal with it with a few Rennies. You really must not simply stop taking PPIs as it will be a big shock to your system. Discuss it with your GP and taper off them.

I am recording a Q&A with Annette Bosworth on Monday for my podcast - I have added reflux to the list :slight_smile:

(Janelle) #30

Thanks. What does tapering mean though? They are extended release type capsules. Would it be one every other day? Then every 3rd day, etc?

Tapering simply means that you reduce the dose gradually. It depends what tablets you are on. I was on Nexium and simply went to a half dose and then every other day and so on. Talk to your GP - it may be that there is a lower does you can go down to or a different form. So many drugs need to be withdrawn from slowly. I discovered that with anti-depressants the hard way!

(Janelle) #32

Thank you - It’s over the counter and my doc knows I’m taking it. I’ll figure something out but your point is well taken.

I always hope these threads help others. Thanks for including it in your interview.

(Rob Grantham) #33

Hi I’ve been keto around 4 months now but recently I’ve really reduced my carbs almost to zero. I have been eating little in the way of vegetables and I’m wondering if this is a contributing factor. I’m aware that the stomach needs more acid to digest fat/protein so if it’s low anyway I guess this could be an issue. I added back some broccoli last night and so far the heartburn is 50% of what it was.

(Karen) #34

Thanks Daisy that’s a great idea. A lot of people have problems with reflux. Many of the acid reducers are not safe long-term. The burp test is fairly crude but is helpful in determining whether not you have enough stomach acid. Most of us, as we age, don’t. If I wake up and feel like my dinner is not digesting, like a heavy meat meal, I take HCL with pepsin capsule. Tried the ACV vinegar, not quite strong enough for me.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #35

It it is otc, the pharmacist may be able to tell you if you can cut the pill in half without messing up the time release, or recommend another type easier to wean off of.

(Omar) #36

very simple to test if stomach feelings are caused by too much stomach acid or by the lack of acid.

99% the feeling is caused by low acidity.

what you can do is ingesting baking soda or ACV

each time you look for either more bloating or burping

the one cause to burp is what you lack and the one makes you bloat is what you have.

If ACV makes you burp you are lacking stomach acid.

but that is not enough to solve the issue you may lacking bile or enzymes. lack of bile can be known by the stool color.

to activate the bile you take tea spoon of ghee in the morning and do not eat any fat for that day. it is better if you fast for that day to stimulate bile production.

Remember also that a likely reason is nothing to do with acidity of the stomach but the fact that it is able to come up and therefore a mechanical issue - ie issues with the sphincter not working optimally.

I am not sure I see the logic of burping after consuming bicarb as an indicator - of course it is going to react. You are not going to have no stomach acid and when an alkali hits acid it will react and that is likely to make you burp.

The best way to find out what is going on is to go see a GP and potentially get the old hosepipe down the throat to have a look. Reducing the stress on the mechanism is likely to help too which is why things like leaving at least 4 hours after eating before going to bed is recommended. The important thing is staying upright.

(Mike W.) #38

If I recall correctly it’s burping in X numbers of minutes. It is a crude test, but I’ve also heard it’s a pretty effective indicator.

(Omar) #39

while I am in no position to give medical advice, the bicarbonate/ACV test is being recommended by some sites in the internet ( which I realize does not make it medically credible test )

Second thing the ACV/bicarbonate are materials that we regularly ingest and hopefully there is no associated risk from experimenting with such substances.

now we get back to the topic

when feeling bloated/high stomach acid ( a term that I found since the seventies that it is reversed) so when I have this feeling and drink a bicarbonate solution, my bloating increase 10 folds. I feel my stomach is completely a sealed balloon with no exits.

as soon I take little viniger whatever type I get immediate relief from the burping.

now weather that an indicator or not I will not argue because I do not know.

the reason I say that because even with ACV I may get rid of the hi acidity feeling alright but still have improper digestion which get further relief with digestive enzymes.

I have the habit of when things work for me I want others to benefit from my experience and I forget that there is some individuality and there are things advices by others did not work for me.

but digestive enzymes should not be taken regularly for long time. We should solve the root cause of digestion.

the ducts that pipe the bile gets too congested from years of very low fat diet (not from high fat as claimed by some ) There are remedies to decongest the ducts. I think the best is fasting and stimulating the bile production by small amount of fat while fasting.

you may want to check the advice of Dr John douillard. he has lots of usefull advice in this area even if I do not agree with his general ayurovida things.

(Rob Grantham) #40

Just as an experiment i ate leaner meat tonight. The Reflux certainly felt less harsh. Could it be that fat is causing the reflux? If this is the case then what am i supposed to eat on high fat diet?