Problem with alcohol

(Marianne) #1

I’ve been doing keto happily and effortlessly for over four months. Haven’t cheated once and have no desire to (sort of as I will explain). The only thing I am having trouble with is alcohol. I completely abstained for over a month, then I started having champagne when I would go out with friends (1-2x/mo.). Now I find I am craving champagne. Probably my carb addiction rearing its ugly head in sneaky fashion. I am off today and bought a bottle for this weekend (because I deserve it).

I don’t want to quit living, but I feel so guilty. Not looking for permission but opinions - okay or slippery slope?

(The Lackadaisical Ketologist ) #2

The first step in overcoming your addiction is to admit you have a problem. That’s what my therapist told me at anger management classes, before I got mad and walked out anyway. The more I crave something the more I stay away from it. If I could trust my impulses I would not need to be on this forum or eating keto.

(Susan) #3

If you really need to have an alcoholic beverage for a treat to yourself; why not trying to substitute the champagne with something that has no sugar? I think the sugar in it is what is making you crave it.

I would suggest getting a sugar free sparkling water, and adding some vodka to that or a flavoured sparking water that has no sugar/calories if you can try that… pretending? I think that it is the sugar in it that is keeping your cravings going because I haven’t had any alcohol since April (started Keto in February) and didn’t have any until that one night and not since, next time I am having some will be at our October concert. I am just thinking that since you have been having a drink that has sugar in it, that is the problem.

I would either go cold turkey and have no alcohol or the no sugar alternative. To do well with the Keto you have to eliminate the Sugar. Lots of the forum members incorporate some alcohol in their lives, but are choosing some without sugar… the sugar is what is dangerous.

During the times I will pre-plan to have some alcohol I am going to have Vodka with sparkling water or plain water…but still no sugar, as I have been sugar free for ages now and intend to stay that way.

(Robert C) #4

Slippery slope. Soon after you determine that you deserve it, you might find you need it - you know, to truly be able enjoy social situations or due to stress or whatever. Once justified (in however many ways), it will be pretty easy to watch the scale go in the wrong direction and undo some (all?) of your weight loss.

Sometimes, around here, people suggest tossing the scale. But, in this case, you might want to monitor the destruction of your progress.

Maybe wait until you reach goal weight and make yourself move up and down a few pounds around that weight?

(Marianne) #5

I wouldn’t say I have an alcohol problem (although I see that is what I put in the title!). It’s just that above anything else, I am craving champagne. It is so delicious and feels like such a treat. I wouldn’t be having it more than once a week.

('Jackie P') #6

There are 7.5g carbs in a bottle of champagne! As this is a life style change, you might think it it worth the occasional indulgence! Life is a long time with no champagne!:blush:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #7

This. I’m definitely not judging you wanting alcohol as I want it almost every day :joy: but I do go out maybe once a month or so with friends and have drinks. I do hard liquor (unflavored) like vodka with club soda (NOT tonic water, which has carbs) or rum and Diet Coke. Yeah I said Diet Coke, I already know many on here will disagree with that but such is life.

Slippery slope all day long! You had champagne after some time off then started craving it. You know it sets you back but bought a bottle because “you deserve it”. That’s rationalizing a reason to have it. We only do that when we need to convince ourselves of something. I was a craft beer snob and would just shy of drool thinking about getting home from work and having a nice cold IPA, was never a drunk, could always stop if I wanted too… but I never wanted too, and that was the issue. When the stuff starts calling your name and you have it knowing it can only set you back, gotta listen to the first thought. I noticed real quick when I wasn’t drinking I didn’t really like hanging out with some people that I also did when I was. I’m not totally dry but rarely drink these days, the stuff is just too terrible and not worth the guilt afterwards. I’d rather eat a chocolate cake or something if I’m gonna go far off the wagon.

(Ellen ) #9

I love diet coke! Don’t care what people say. It’s been a life saver when I feel like something sweet. I’ve tried vodka and diet coke but the hangover the next day isn’t worth it for me anymore. But that’s me and I’m still early in the game, I may feel different down the road. I think this can be a very isolating diet in the beginning. Again, for me.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #10

Exactly, gotta have some happiness in life :joy:

(Ellen ) #11

Lol

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #12

In all fairness, growing up with Puerto Rican grandparents I’ve been drinking Bacardi since I was a child :joy:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

So brut champagne is about as keto friendly as wine gets, I don’t think it’s a carb craving. You just enjoy it. And if you have that in control I don’t see any reason for people here to assume you have an addiction issue brewing up. As long as you realize the tax involved if you want to split a bottle with a friend now and then do it, 4 carbs for a treat isn’t anything to stress about. That’s worse. You and I both have enough stress with our kids.

Some people eat pepperoni sticks that probably come with the same carb tax but no one implies the have a addiction issue rearing it’s ugly head. :wink: :clinking_glasses: :cowboy_hat_face:

(Allie) #14

Definitely a slippery slope. As soon as anyone starts using something as a reward when it’s something they know is at best not ideal and at worst harmful, it’s a slippery slope.

As I’ve posted on here before, I live with an alcoholic who now finally seems to have turned a corner after many years, but one of his favourite excuses for drinking was “I deserve it” or “I’ve earned this”. Whether your craving is for the alcohol itself or the sugar that’s in it, the justification of it being a reward is not healthy I’m afraid, especially as you’re aware of it being harmful to you.

Whatever the substance, there’s no safe amount for an addict and “just a little bit” will always lead to deeper problems.

I hope you’re able to find a way to deal with this before it gets too bad :heart:

('Jackie P') #15

I’m cooking dinner for friends tonight and I fully intend to have a large gin and slimline tonic and a couple of glasses of wine. Dinner is pretty keto friendly and I usually plan to have 50 - 60g of carbs on such an occasion :yum:. I soon get over it!